Matt Patchan

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSUTiga, Oct 21, 2007.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

James Wilson doesn't have a mind of his own?

2. clair

clair Rockets

a player can't transfer unless the coach releases him.

you can quit the team, but until you're released of your scholarship by the university, you can't play for anyone else.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I wasn't aware of that.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Meyer also did this last year with a guy I think LSU recruited pretty hard. Cant remember his name but Meyer eventually let him go.

5. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

This brings up an interesting point. I believe I've read on this board (a post by Red I think) that scholarships are granted on a year to year basis. The large majority of the time they are renewed for all 4 (or 5...or 6 in pittman's case) years, but that the school is under no obligation to extend the scholarship. It would seem then that the player should be able to get out of the scholarship after each year and not be subject to the mercy of the coach.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Actually they can leave any time they want. If the school doesn't release him the player can appeal to the NCAA to get his release and they will give it to him unless there are some other circumstances in existence which prevent that. USC had a player go through that appeals process about 2 years ago and he won.

Now, the SEC transfer rule is different and a player cannot transfer to another SEC school without that release unless there are extenuating circumstances such as a death or illness type thing.

2 people like this.
  7. clair

clair Rockets

it is sort of a universal, unofficial rule saying that all coaches will give their players their request for the betterment of their career.

But when has Urban Meyer ever been accused of being ethical?

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Slightly different than Wilson's circumstances. Rocky Hinds was the player and his request to transfer to UNLV was initially opposed and went to the appeals process because it was believed that UNLV had had inappropriate contact with him prior to the transfer request. The appeals board is students, not likely to turn down another student. To my knowledge, USC has never denied a player's request to transfer in general, just to a specific school. In Wilson's case, he is being denied the request to go anywhere.

In fact, Florida was the happy recipient of a Trojan transfer whose potential choice of Oregon was denied. Urban's running offense, if he's to have one, depends on Moody. At one time there was a Pac rule stating that players transfering within conference would have to sit out 2 years but I don't think it's in play anymore.

9. philter

philter Founding Member

A player can transfer any time he wants, released or not. SEC rules prohibit institutions from accepting inter-league transfers without being released, that's an SEC rule not an NCAA rule. If a player from the SEC wants to transfer to a non-SEC school he can do so at any time whether Meyer wants him to or not. The problem is they cannot be on scholarship for the 1 year waiting period unless they are released. So if Wilson wants to transfer, and CUM won't let him, he can still go...he will just have to pay his way for 1 year at Wake or somewhere else - then after he sits out the NCAA mandated one year he can get a scholarship.

Of course paying your own way is a big caveat (also the appeals process is an option as stated above).

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Well this isn't exactly the perfect thread title for this but it does fit with where the conversation ended. Cal RB James Montgomery who was planning on the starting role there wants to xfer to Florida. Imagine that. Right on the heels of comments by Urban that Moody isn't living up to expectations yet. Urban's replaced texting by letting other coaches do the initial recruiting work and then just planning on xfers.

http://www.alligator.org/articles/2008/03/29/blogs/sideline_report/doc47eeb23752488473502277.txt