Mauck plays his worst game as a Tiger...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Oct 11, 2003.

1. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

Matt Mauck played his worst game as an LSU Tiger and in the process cost the Tigers a shot at the national championship.

He locked onto Michael Clayton all day when other receivers were open. In addition, he looked like the Freshman today not Leak.

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

OK, Genius, then look at his numbers.

Why bash an LSU football player, especially when his numbers overall look good?

It would be more accurate to say that the offense played very poorly yesterday then to bash one player.

I'm not attacking you personally, I just want to remind everyone that we should resist the temptation to bash LSU football players by name. It serves no useful purpose.

We've got some injuries in the offensive backfield right now, and our offense may be struggling again this year, unless some really smart person on the coaching staff can figure out a solution.

Now, then, isn't that better than just bashing an LSU football player who might be your dentist in a few years?

:geaux:

:lsug:

3. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

You want to call out a single person....Its Jimbo Fisher.

I'm not saying he isnt a good coach, but his play calling was piss poor yesterday. How many times can you run the same run plays(that dont work) or the same short yard pass plays (3rd and 5) and we throw a screen pass or a 2 yard dump 98% of the time. I know its not a good thing when I can predict every play LSU will run. I pretty much guess every play LSU ever runs and I'm right 90% of the time.

I don't think he is a bad coach, I do believe he and the offense should HAVE to work overtime this week after practice.

I also think LSU has a great chance to be something special this year. Regardless the injuries. THIS TEAM HAS TALENT! We are only #10 in the nation. A few other teams are bound to drop, its just a matter of time. I'd rather this loss now instead of at the end of the season. Atleast we still have a chance to climb to the top.

4. danky

danky Founding Member

I'd never hire a guy named 'jimbo' in the first place.

...just kidding

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Jean Lafitte, I agree somewhat with your statement...

But, there is no other player on LSU's team-other than perhaps the safeties who call out the checks, sets and coverages for our secondary on passing plays-so solely responsible for the problems yesterday than the quarterback position.

The problem is that when his performance is poor, it's magnified. If he can't excel, or even play average, our team cannot excel, or even play average...

It's not necessarily the best thing, but sometimes, the truth hurts...

6. IndianTiger

IndianTiger Freshman

I may be wrong here. But cant help but wonder the effect of the pre-dental exams that Mauck took Monday. People who take such exams know that its a ton of work and you have to cram for atleast a week for the exam and you would be pretty much exhausted after the exams.

So, its fair to give Mauck a break. After all, studies is the primary objective for student athletes. My guess is he is going to be back in good style next week.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Every player has a worst day. Y.A Tittle, Bert Jones, Rohan Davey . . . They each had a worst day. So perhaps Mauck's worst day is behind him. He needs to tighten up, he knows it and Nick will help him get past this and move on.

Jimbo Fisher has been damn good for LSU and its WAY too early to criticise him. Florida seemed to have our tendencies down, so I think Jimbo will be making changes, but I can't blame him for going with what has worked for us so far. You run a play until they figure out how to stop it. So, it may be time for some new plays and I think we'll see them soon.

8. aztiger03

aztiger03 Founding Member

I am glad he had his test now then before the SECCG. This one is hard to swallow, however there is plenty of football to play and many teams to beat up on. LSU will rebound. They will prove to us fans they are something special. SEC champs sounds nice. Cant wait to buy the shirt......

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'd hire a coach named Dweezil or Moon Unit if he could win

10. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

I too agree that we shouldn't call out a particular players name when things go bad but something was definately out of sync between the QB and recievers saturday, particularly in the 1st quarter. Seemed like the recievers were cutting one way and the ball was thrown in just the opposite direction. I think the Tigers were lucky that there were only two interceptions thrown. Mauck will be back in true form this saturday in Columbia and the Tigers will be back in the "W" column.