Mauck/Saban

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Roygu, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Roygu

Roygu Guest

Coach Saban said, in his press conference, that the question should be who are going to be the receivers not who is going to be the quarterback. The quarterback did not drop any passes.
    He indicated that there had been no plans to play Randall in the game unless he was forced because of injury. There are plans for Randall to play in the next game, for experience, in case he is needed later in the season.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I guess I sort of agree. I will be honest I was screaming to bench Mauck but I was simply reacting to what was unfolding in front of me.
    However he did play better in the 2nd, he had no line and no WR help.

Can he throw the deep ball. That is the question. Our longest pass was 17 yards. He has yet to prove he can throw the out (Several of them short or into the stands).
    That was our big weapons last year with Ro. He could hit Reed or Clayton on the deep ball with his eyes closed. Last year it was only a question on how long will it take to score. Sunday it was can we even get a 1st down.

Anyway, lets give him these two "easy" games see if he can become what we hope.

It was his first game, and he had little help.

Geaux Tigers.

3. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

TigerFan

Geaux Tigers!!!!! The tigers are going to be ok. I think everyone was trying to do to much. ie, trying to get yards before they had the football. This team will settle down and win the west.

4. Roygu

Roygu Guest

I agree about Rohan. It seemed as though the field was only fifty yards long when he was the Quarterback. Mauck threw one long pass that was accurate but there was a lot of bumping between Clayton and the VT DB and no completion. He threw the deep out once but Clayton went long. It appeared to me that the receivers and Mauck were not on the same page most of the time and when they were they dropped the ball. We have two games to get it corrected.

5. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

I was in Blacksburg last Sunday for the game. I have a few observations.
    a) Mauck is the least effective starting quarterback that we have had in several seasons. He is not as good as even Herb Tyler. Sure, there was defensive pressure, sure, there were dropped passes. But the fact is Mauck has a long way to go & improvement on his part will help. I'm not sure he can improve enough. His talent level may just not be there.
    b) Davis does not hit the hole like he should, he is quick but tentative.
    c) Toefield is not 100%.
    d) The defense is better this year than last.
    e) 99% of the Va. Tech fans are super.
    f) Lane Field is a joke.
    g) Va. Tech fans are every bit as rabid as tiger fans, but due to the stadium, not as load.
    h) I still love the tigers & pull for them win, lose, or draw.
    i) Blacksburg is beautiful, the weather was great!

6. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

I was real impressed with the defense, if the offense had been on the field longer, and VT didn't have such great field position, VT wouldn't have scored.

7. Waterloo

Waterloo Freshman

Chip......

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I remember Herb Tyler winning a lot of games. He was not the greatest passer LSU has seen, but I believe his teams won three bowl games (I might be off a little on this one.)

I think I'd take Herb on this team right now. Mauck will improve.

Geaux Tigers!:confused:

8. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

I agree with you. My point about Herb Tyler was not that he wasn't a winner but he was not an NFL prospect as the last two QB's were. So, I was trying to compare Mauck to an earlier less "talented" pro prospect. But Herb Tyler was truly a winner!