Mauck

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dallastigers, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

I thinkwe will be better than everyone thinks. We win the west and go to the SEC Champship game. LSU plays its best ball when no one thinks they will.

I also believe Mauck will be playing all year next year if his foot is ok.

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I think Mauck will be the #1 QB going into the fall. Randall will be #2 because of his expieriance. It will be interesting to see who will end up redshirted. I think Russell will be our most versitile guy. If for some reason it doesn't work out as QB we could use him as a wideout or as a safety. But if everyone stays a QB, I think there will be a transfer. I remember Randall being rumoring of transferring to Southern before he got his chance this past season. I would not be surprised if a QB or two transfers. Clausen deffinatly would benifit from transferring in my opinion.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

4. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

i don't see Russell moving to wideout or safety. He's too big and slow. He's about the size of Dante Culpepper. He's not slow, but he would be too slow at wideout. People have to remember that all our QBs are young and don't have much experience. Clausen (who I don't think will ever had a chance to play for LSU) was thrown to the wolves. He was just a freshman. Mauck and Randall are still a little unexperienced. BUT I think Randall has the most experience right now. He faced the tougher teams, while Mauck faced only 2 tough teams. But I still think Mauck will be the starter and hopefully he will pick up where he left off in the Florida game. If he does that, I think we'll be fine at QB next year.

5. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I don't want to start this discussion again like we had in the fall but to say Mauck had finally arrived b/c of the Florida is a ridiculous statement. Other that game he had done nothing. So he thru a few TDs in that game....do you remember the catch Henderson made on 1 and the run he made on the other?...those weren't Mauck those were Henderson.

I guess if Randall had gotten hurt at the end of the S. Carolina game (probably his best performance of the season) everyone would then say that Randall was the real deal, we would have been awesome, yada, yada, yada. We all know what happend after that game.

I stand by my belief that QB will be the weakness of this team next year. Unless, by some miracle, one of these other QBs (even the frosh) can really step up. but instead will have to start the season with our best option, Randall or Mauck. Wouldn't be surprised that by game 7 or 8 someone else is the starter.

If we had a heisman candidate it would be Clayton, but for him to have an incredible year you have to have someone who can get it to him consistently......and we don't have that so scratch any hesiman hype for anyone.

This should get "Negative Post of the Day":D :D :D

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

QB is a question mark for sure, but I'm not ready to call it weakness yet. It sure as hell was last year, but we've got seven guys in hot competition and someone is going to rise to the top. He may do alright. Mauck and Randall will not be green anymore.

Nor will Harrison, whom everyone seems to forget. He's got game experience (albeit in Junior college) where he threw for big yardage. I expect him to be in the mix in spring practice. He's already transferred twice and has a big incentive to suceed since he probably here for the duration.

Ricard and Clausen have to make the top three in the spring or they will have to consider transfer or position change.

If Flynn or Russell are as good as they are advertised, then one may be able to make the top two by mid-season while the other redshirts.

Hub is right in that neither Mauck, Randall, or Clausen have shown us a Divison I arm. But with seven young QB's to work with, I feel Nick will find what he needs for the future. The question is how long will it take to gel?

7. speedracer1977

speedracer1977 Freshman

Link below has Mauck #11 in Heisman rank

I would think that if anyone on LSU's roster has a chance at the Heisman it would be Clayton. The only way he has a shot at that is if our QB play has vastly improved by the fall.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

INCREDIBLE - Here it is less than a month after LSU signed JaMarcus Russell, one of the most highly recruited Quarterbacks in the country and people on this forum are already talking about moving him to another position. You can bet your last dollar that Russell did not sign with LSU to play anything but QB and I don't believe that Saban signed him with that intention. If he is able to make the transition from high school to Division I He is going to play QB whether it is at LSU or elsewhere if Flynn or somebody else eventually wins the starting position

I believe that either Mauck or Randall will be the starter at teh beginning of the season Both have their pluses and minuses
    Mauck had a great game against Florida but that was the only good team he played against (other than the opener at V Tech) so we really don't know how good he could have become A good runner and a potential team leader but his passing ability is suspect. Randall is too inconsistent. In the first half of the Cotton Bowl the announcers were comparing him to Joe Montana but he fell apart in the second half If he could ever play at the level he did against Texas in the first half all the time he would be one of the best QBs in the country. Whether he has it in him to step up to that level remains to be seen.

Neither Flynn or Russell have been tested at the college level yet so nobody knows how good they can be. Its is rare that a true freshman can come in right away and take over in the big leagues but it does happen. Rex Grossman at Florida was great from the first game. Lets all hope that one of these guys can do the same. Robert Lane must think they are both pretty damn good. The prospect of having to compete against both of them drove him to Oxford, MS

Harrison was good at a small college program but in the SEC the defensive linemen get to the QB a lot quicker, the linebackers are bigger and faster and the DBs cover the receivers a lot closer If he was really all that good he would have played last year.

The guy who could surprise everybody is Lester Recard. He is a pure passer and is 6' 5" I haven't ever seen him play but he was another very highly recruited HS QB. Miami wanted him and the Canes always seem to come up with a great QB (this year could be an exception - the games I saw Brock Berlin in he was not half as good as Grossman)

Does anybody know if Flynn or Russell is enrolled at LSU and would be able to take part in spring practice?

9. LSU Tailgater

LSU Tailgater Freshman

I know that Flynn is not enrolled, and I dont think that Russell is either, so they wont be able to take part in spring practice

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Thats too bad they both probably have to complete the last semester of high school. It will be real tough for either one of them to come here in August and show enough to win the QB job, assuming that one or both of them is talented enough to do it