Maulk may be done

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JTV, Oct 16, 2002.

1. JTV

JTV Founding Member

Coach Saban on Tiger Sportsline just said Maulk may be out for the season, and would be if surgery was reguired on his foot ligaments, which are "loose" at this time.

2. Pitkin Tiger

Pitkin Tiger Founding Member

That is really too bad for a guy just off

making GREAT memories in the Florida game. I hope that it is not as serious as it sounds for Matt's sake. He seems to have really worked hard this year.

3. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Randall

Saban also said, contrary to the general speculation, that we will not tone down our game plan. We will run the same plays as normal. He said that SC is too good on defense for us to play conservative. We will use our skilled people to run plays to our strength. Randall is the man.
    I am of the opinion, from listening to Sabans' talk show, that Harrison may be the next in line, at this time for the second team QB. Saban mentioned Harrison's physical maturity and his experience at the JC.

4. ConwayCock

ConwayCock Founding Member

I watched most of your great game over Flordia? I dont recall Maulk being injured???? I hope this was not in the 4th qrt when the game was way out of hand. Hope for a speedy recovery; who is your backup and has he any exp.???

5. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

This is bad news. When I thought he would only be out one to two weeks, it seemed okay (everybody gets banged up and sits a while). But to lose him for the year would be bad, even if Randell fills in nicely. Mostly because we would need another solid/good backup for Randell, someone with playing time and reps.

The sky is not falling, but I feel bad for Mauck if can't finish the year. Could he possibly get a medical red shirt year for sitting?

6. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

My biggest regret is that he was just getting to be a really good QB when this happened.

At the beginning of the season, Mauck had the talent but not the experience. It took him several games to get comfortable on the field. He kept improving each and every game. But that was OK because all of the games were non conference or MSU.

Now Randall is in. He has the talent but not the experience. I have no doubt that he is a good QB, but I hope he does not have the same learning curve that Mauck did, because now we are in the heart of our SEC schedule and we don't have time for a learning curve.

7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah Ellis, I agree. However, if you go back and look at the play calling for each game, you will see that we have thrown the ball less and less while playing better and better. In Maucks first start he threw the ball 35 times, and we got clobbered by VT. Last week, he only threw the ball 20 times. This leads me to believe that against VT, we were trying to be something we're not- the offense from last year. A lot of the preceived learning curve that Macuk went through was more of a change in offensive identity. Sure Mauck has made great progress, but less has been asked of him also. I think Randall will fit into the scheme just fine because we arent trying to light up the score board. He wont have to throw the ball 20 times, he just needs to play sound football and not lose.

8. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Pass Plays

VT-35 Fla-20 The difference was the score. In the VT game we were trying to play catch up so we passed. Too much in view of the route running and pass catching.
    In the Florida game, we were ahead from the first quarter. In the third quarter we made two passes for touchdowns so we then let the air out and played the clock.