Maurice Clarett denied!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sourdoughman, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Just think how this would improve the college and pro ranks in sports.
    There are exceptions to every rule however.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I disagree, going to college should have nothing to do with it. It works fairly well for baseball although there must be a loophole as pointed out by TE. But it should have nothing to do with going to college, as it doesn't in football.

I have to wonder if this Supreme Court decision will have any effect on wheter the NBA tries to establish a new rule? I'm sure it would be harder for them to do since they have been letting high schoolers jump for so long.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

yeah, if they wanna skip college altogether and wait around for 3 years, fine. i don't care if they make these kids go to school or not. but i firmly believe that once an athlete commits to an institution, that he/she should have to stay for 3 years.

4. cajdav1

That part I agree with and it really only applies to baseball and basketball of the 3 major sports since football already has the rule regardless of whether they are in college or not. I'd like to see the NBA come up with some kind of rule as that is basically what their old rule was(hardship) and instead of trying to fight it in court they just abolished it. Since the NFL won, maybe they will reconsider it.

5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

ha! good luck with that. i don't see the NBA making any adjustments to their current rules since 3 of the best players in the league (garnett, james, bryant) never saw a day of college. and anthony, who only spent one year in college, ain't too shabby neither.

6. cajdav1

Actually the NBA is studying the idea for several reasons right now as it has been written up in a few articles recently. Maybe the fact that many of them don't pan out, more than the college players, and the fact that almost all of them take much longer to deveope while getting paid megabucks has something to do with it. The Bryant's, James', Garnett's, etc. will still be in the league soon anyway. It's not like they will go play football or become surgeons.

7. col reb

col reb Founding Member

Good ole honesty got shot down a long time ago. If a person can't pay back a loan, go bankrupt. The way I see it concerning college sports---WE (LSU) offer you the chance of a lifetime. A quality education, (not cheap by any means), an opportunity to become famous, popular, and if good enough--rich. Rich through your physical skills or through the education you receive. LSU offers a coach the contract to make him very well off. If LSU is not satisfied with his performance, his contract can be bought out ---simple business--------If the NFL thinks enough of you to want to draft you in your soph, Jr, season------they should have to buy out the remaining years on the contract you signed. Several things should be considered..If you were a star, how much "GATE" appeal did you have. For example, Eli brought them in by the droves...higher buy out. What is the value factor to the team. ex--LSU expected to be a top five team with this running back---lower 20 without. higher buyout----

8. TigersSmack

TigersSmack Freshman

never liked him, and like him less after his run in with the cops and the stolen (FAKE) police reports. Hope he is a complete bust and picked up by the saints

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I wouldn't wish this guy on my worst enemy! :hihi::dis: