Max, I have just got word that Campo and Gary Crowden will be hired Friday.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Carface

Carface What the...?

Didn't we have a thread not too long ago....

...that talked about how pretentious it was to start a sentence in the subject and then finish it in the post?

i·ro·ny
    n. pl. i·ro·nies
    Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).

Just messing with you.

2. max

max Founding Member

I don't see the incongruity. I posted the information in the title and my source in the body.

I have found Don to be reliable for his information on recruiting. As far as him reporting a story that Purple and Gold fed him, why would he not? I'm sorry he is not perfect like some of you. The guy devotes his time to an LSU site like Brett: a labor of love. I salute him personally. I don't know if this info is correct or not but we should find out shortly.

I don't know if I should have posted a source because maybe Don wanted to report this tomorrow when he gets more confirmation, but he did not write any disclaimer asking me not to post it. Now I see why people post info without sources. When you post a source, people ridicule the source unless it is lsusports.net and when you don't they think you are making it up.

3. max

max Founding Member

Can someone try to confirm this with another source like Scarborough?

4. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Nothing confirmed on TigerBait.

5. max

max Founding Member

Oh well, I would think that Scarborough would know. Something like this would be too big to keep under wraps. I guess we'll find out the truth tomorrow or soon enough. Let's hope it is good information.

6. max

max Founding Member

I just checked with a different reliable source (this one in the media). He said he believed that Crowton has interviewed, but he hasn't heard anything about Campo.

But, he did say that he is hearing that Miles has gotten more interest from assistant coaches than he might have first thought.

This source thinks it could be days before the full staff is announced.

7. philter

philter Founding Member

Mike posted he has heard Miles is considering Cleveland's LB coach George Edwards. He worked for Campo in Cle and Dal of course...may be why he met with Campo - or he could have considered both.

8. max

max Founding Member

George Edwards

Linebackers Coach
    Year with Browns: 1st
    Year in NFL: 7th

George Edwards was named Browns linebackers coach on January 16, 2004. Prior to joining the Browns, Edwards spent two seasons (2002-03) with the Washington Redskins, acting as the club’s defensive coordinator in 2003. He helped produce a pair of Pro Bowlers in LB LaVar Arrington and CB Champ Bailey.

He joined the Redskins in 2002 as assistant defensive coordinator and linebackers coach and played a key role in orchestrating the Redskins fifth ranked defense. His primary responsibilities were to maximize the talents of a strong linebacking corps including Arrington, Jesse Armstead, Jeremiah Trotter and Kevin Mitchell. Working with Edwards, Arrington (107), Armstead (107) and Trotter (104) each broke the 100+ mark in tackles in 2002.

Prior to joining the Redskins, Edwards spent four seasons with the Dallas Cowboys (1998-2001), where he worked as linebackers coach under current Browns defensive coordinator Dave Campo. Under Edwards’ tutelage, the Cowboys linebackers helped the Dallas defense finish second in the NFC and fourth in the NFL in 2001.

Edwards spent the 1997 season as defensive line coach at the University of Georgia after working with the linebackers at Duke University in 1996. Prior to coaching for the Blue Devils, Edwards spent four seasons at Appalachian State University (1992-95). He began his coaching career at the University of Florida as a graduate assistant in 1991.

A four-year letter winner at linebacker at Duke, Edwards was a two-year special teams captain and was an honorable mention All-ACC selection in 1989. A native of Siler City, N.C., Edwards graduated from Duke with a political science degree and did post graduate study at the University of Florida. Edwards and his wife, Jami, have a son, B.J.

Coaching Background:
    1991 University of Florida, graduate assistant
    1992-95 Appalachian State, linebackers
    1996 Duke University, linebackers
    1997 University of Georgia, defensive line
    1998-2001 Dallas Cowboys, linebackers
    2002 Washington Redskins, assistant defensive coordinator/linebackers
    2003 Washington Redskins, defensive coordinator
    2004 Cleveland Browns, linebackers

9. BMoney

BMoney Founding Member

For what it's worth, Don e-mailed me on Tuesday of last week and said that Les Miles was at the top of LSU's list, and was the guy Skip wanted. As much as I didn't want to believe it at the time, I have to admit that he was dead on. I also correspond with one of his sources, who told me the same thing that day (which is probably where Don got it). This same source told me about Gary Crowton yesterday morning (and as far as I could tell, I was the first to post that info here). I haven't talked to him since the Campo rumors started, but I'll be sure to get in touch with him first thing tomorrow to see what he knows.

10. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Either way I hope to read tomorrow about the hiring of crowton and campo.....that would make my week.