Max, I have just got word that Campo and Gary Crowden will be hired Friday.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Jan 6, 2005.

1. max

max Founding Member

Philter, are you hearing rumors about Mo Watts (former MS ST and MSU OC) and Spike Dykes (Texas Tech WR coach) joining Miles' offensive staff?

2. philter

philter Founding Member

Just some random posts about Mo and a joking (as I took it) post about Spyke. Neither were from posters I've noticed to be 'in the know' from the past, but as I said 'in the know' is relative these days.

3. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Well Dandy Don had on his site Saturday that the rumors about Dave Campo and Gary Crowton being asked to be the DC and OC respectively were in fact true.

So at least we know that Campo and Crowton were talked to and possibly offered the position. This looks really good and I hope it is true and I hope these guys take the jobs.

Of course I don't think these guys have a lot choices other than the 49er's, smaller programs that need DC/OC's or head coaches, or wait around till after the NFL playoffs to see what may open up. This would be really good if we land them. Les Miles would be surrounding himself with outstanding guys in helping him run a large program and not try to handle the bulk of it himself.

4. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I would think these rumors are credible for no other reason than Gary Crowton and Dave Campo---while nice hires---aren't exactly the brightest stars in the coaching constellation, nor do they have hard core ties to either Les Miles, LSU or SEC football.

In other words, they're obscure enough not to randomly pop up in rumors, IMO.

5. max

max Founding Member

I think Dave Campo was the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys when Les Miles was their tight ends coach.

6. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Tejas,
    Campo is a fairly "bright star" if you ask me. He was an NFL HC, although not great, but he did improve their defense quite a bit IMO. Even though he has been let go at Cleveland, that whole thing was a mess over there and would fall at the feet of the HC.

Campo is very much qualified and would handle the job very well IMO. Now you analysis of why you don't think these are random rumors is 100% correct. They are somewhat obscure choices. I'm glad Miles would go after them before the NFL teams start purging their cupboards and hiring others. Getting at least one them now would be good before NFL teams start restocking their coaching "pantry" for 2006.

The status of the LSU Football Program will hopefully lure these guys into our program.

7. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

I think the biggest difference between last season's defense and this season's defense was the offense jumped on teams and we we built comfortable leads usually early in the games keeping our defense off the field and giving them an opportunity to play with much more reckless abandon in 2003 when they were on the field than in 2004 because of the comfortable leads that were provided by 2003's much more effective offense.

Despite the exceptional talent and depth at LSU, 2004's offense never got untracked because the quarterbacks were so inconsistent. It seemed like we were always behind and biting our nails while trying to make last minute comebacks.

And I don't blame it all on coach Jimbo like a lot of people do. Instead, I blame it on Saban. It was not coach Jimbo's decision to divide his time between MR and JR. It was coach Saban's call, because he was the head coach!

Like I said in another thread, all season long I had a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the quarterback situation in the 2004 season was engineered by Saban for the ulterior motive of enticing Ryan Perrilloux.

8. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Turbo,
    you have an interesting conspiracy theory, but I don't think a head coach is foolish enough to risk his season or career on trying to persuade a high school student to come to his program. I think that is stretching it a bit far.

I think Saban thought Randall should be the QB and put him on 1st team prior to the season starting. I don't know if he was ready to have JM in as starter, especially after seeing him perform in earlier practices. He may have thought it would be too soon for JM to be good in the system. On the other Randall, deserved the roll, waited his turn, and had more experience. Randall was the logical choice.

After Randall under performed, lets try Russell. With a few bright moments early on Russell was a contender for the job. This is where the whole 2 QB deal started. I don't think Saban ever planned or wanted it, the sh!t just happened and he decided to keep trying it.

There would've been a couple of games we would've lost without using the 2 QB's. If one was doing terrible, the other would do a little better when they got put in. I'm no fan of 2 QB's but I don't know if we had a choice. It seemed that once JM or MR started out bad they could never recover and the other would come in and do marginally better and give the team a lift when it needed it.

If JM would've been great this season then why would Saban need Perrilloux. We'd have JM for 4 years.

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

How true and think about it, would you rather read Dandy Don or a TigerEducated post? :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: Dandy would get my vote for sure.

10. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Not to be harsh on your first post on the Forum, but...Having said that...

I don't post on my employer's dime...I WORK from 8:30-6:30, and save for the few times I've had off or gotten off early, you haven't seen me post here between those hours in a long, LONG time...

See, I WORK for a living...Let that sink in...I don't have the time to post on an internet message board during works hours...The insinuation was an easy one, but not one you should make...I'm not employed by some lax state agency or obscure department of some company where I can just be lazy all day and view an internet message board.

One more time...I WORK for a living...

Thanks for the assumption, though...You know what they say happens when you assume...

;-)

P.S.-->Welcome to Tiger Forums...and answer me this...are you related to the Dandy One?