May 16th

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 5, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The damage started with Bush/Cheney/Rove and you know it. It was the Karl Rove doctrine that when you get a simple majority, you can ignore the minority and get everything your way. All of the careful compromises worked out with Reagan, Bush41, and Clinton were dropped because they thought they would have a majority for "50 years" and there would be no payback. Then they screwed up and let the democrats have control and now cry foul.

Now the parties are polarized as never before, neither of them represents the middle where most Americans lie politically, and both put party above the good of the country and the will of their constituents. I don't see them breaking out of this unless a moderate third party emerges.

But every time a third party emerges it is either to the left of the democrats (GReens, Ralph Nader) or to the right of the GOP ( Ross Perot, Tea Party) and makes the situation worse.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

They'll never compromise and even if they do, we're talking about knocking 60b out of 1.6t. That's like shooting a beebee gun at a grizzly bear. It's going to take a crisis for our leaders to address this and a government shutdown is a much better crisis than the where we're headed.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

what if a lot of subsidies are ended in addition to cutting programs? when do we let free market take hold on some things?

take the ethanol subsidy? cutting it could result in a 6 bilion a year savings. 6 billion here, 6 billion there, on top of cuts could be a start.

tom coburn is pushing for the ethanol subsidy to be eliminated, but a group that opposes all tax increases considers the elimination a tax increase, and that an elimination must be met with an equal tax decrease elsewhere. even tho the same group admits that the subsidy is "very bad tax policy and very bad energy policy". are we so polarized that even bad policy must remain in place because of entrenched ideas?

add to that, the ten percent cap of ethanol in fuel....

Read more: Tom Coburn's attack on ethanol subsidy collects powerful allies | NewsOK.com

and for the record, i hate ethanol laced fuel. i track the fuel mpg in my truck. consistently, if i fill up with ethanol, my efficiency drops by 10%. i may be paying a bit less per gallon, thanks to subsidies, but for what? the decrease in mpg wipes it out.

to me, bottom line is, everyone is going to have to pay for cutting govt spending. the includes businesses with the elimination of subsidies. if the price is passed on, let the consumer decide what is and isnt worth paying for.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Can you read? I said the 3 Musketeers exacerbated the problem. News Flash: Bush has been gone for over 2 years now and the problem is worse.

5. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

They will still be blaming Bush in 2012. Bet on it. The left were out for him after the court decided in favor of Bush over Gore. He was marked for ridicule every bit as much as Obama ever was. I say that because Obama has the media mostly on his side where as Bush was demonized by abc, NBC , CBS and msnbc every day of his terms in office. There was nothing he could do or say without them spinning it aginst him. Bush may not have been a harvard professor but he was honest in my opinion. He may have been wrong about wmd's in Iraq but he didn't intentially lie like many reporters have said.

6. red55

Indeed. The new minority has been especially intransigent.

7. red55

I will blame Bush for what he did. SF wants to blame Obama for what Bush did.

The court had no business choosing a President.

Nor has Obama lied, as you have said.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

They have to. They have no accomplishments to run on.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Great big pile of steaming horse sh!t on all 3 counts.

1. your butt buddy obama has done plenty of effing up the coutry. no one expects you to admit you voted for such an assclown so its sort of a mute point.

2. The court actually didn't decide anything. After all the Florida votes were eventually counted by an independant accounting firm that the JACKASSES hired, Dubya still won. Tough Sh!t, deal with it. Of course this got a tiny paragraph on pg 4 of the USATODAY when it was finally over but the media is not ever biased.

3. your bestie barry obama lies almost every time his lips move. you just choose not to recognize it.

Come off it amigo. You lay out a very slanted view of the GOP and all their errors but you will give a pass to the other side any chance you get. See it for what it is. Sure Rove effed it up. Sure he/they may have thought they would have power forever. Does that make it right for the effing faggot ass liberals (thats right, if you are a liberal then yes, in my opinion you are a flamming faggot) to implement policies that are so far apart from what the country needs/wants? Even the mods of which you claim to be even though we all know the truth? You used to be something man, you are simply just pathetic now. Your endless support of bullcrap policy that will wreck the country just because it isn't what the GOP wants has become tired and unreadable.

The other liberals simply don't have the intelligence to warrant a mention.

1 person likes this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You gotta hand it to the republicans though. They ruin the country, then when the democrats can't fix what could possibly take decades to fix in a matter of 4 years, they are able to fool the idiots in this country into believing it's all Obama's fault. Nicely done.