Mayweather-Pacqiaiu

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bengal B, May 2, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

How come no one ever speaks of Roy Jones, or Julio Caesar Chavez, hell even DeLaHoya was pretty damned good, but IMO Roy Jones pound for pound was the man.

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

There are so many great boxers over time that it is really hard to dispute who was the best, IMO. I like to think about the best "fights" ever rather than the best fighter ever. For me, the Gatti-Ward fights were unbelievable, and Holyfield vs Qawi was just an unbelievable fight and test of will. In fact, Holyfield and Gatti are as close to modern day warriors that you'll ever see.

Here is a good list of "best fight's ever" that I like: http://www.therichest.com/sports/boxing-sports/the-10-greatest-boxing-matches-of-all-time/ . This list leaves off Holyfield-Qawi, which was unbelievable.

Here is a website w/Evanders highlights. If you read it, there some really amazing shit that guy went through. True warrior. http://www.evanderholyfield.com

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

IMO, one of Holyfield's most entertaining fights was against Michael Dokes. Those dudes traded a barrage of punches until 9 rounds until Dokes finally wore down in the 10th and Holyfield put him away.

4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

That's the other one that I couldn't think of. Definitely a great fight!

fanatic likes this.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

We aren't talking about who was the best, just comparing the shit show that is mayweather to some real action of the past. Yes certainly Chavez was a great one, there was an Irish kid that fought around that weight class, can't quite remember his name but he was pretty fun to watch as well. Basically, guys that would go out there and fight, try to knock each other out from the opening bell instead of dance, score with a few jabs, dance crap that is out there now.

6. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

I think the best boxer who ever lived has to be Mike Tyson in his prime before Don King and all his hanger on's got a hold of him, I don't think there is a boxer who's ever lived that could have beat him.......possibly Ali in his prime but he would be the only one.

7. shane0911

There may be something to that but I'd say it had less to do with Don King and a lot to do with him and Kevin Rooney parting ways. He was never the same fighter after he stopped working with Kevin. The years that I suspect you are talking about were in fact the Rooney years and yes, he was damn near unbeatable. Those were the days

fanatic likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

George Foreman would have given Tyson the same beatdown he gave Joe Frazier and Ken Norton.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I still think Roy Jones pound for pound best ever. Dude was an animal.

10. shane0911

Glass jaw