Meanwhile in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 17, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Not trying to be rude, but over the span of 25 years, of course wages have risen.

Here locally, I have been the recipient of and seen others in certain fields either not get performance raises over the course of years, or lost wages as more regulation was put on certain industries. As a result of other policies, I have also seen people laid off, hours lowered, and some employers just not hiring new people. It's not all peaches and cream right now.

gyver likes this.
  3. red55

With individuals, any scenario is possible. But when you run all the numbers for all of us over time, it is clear that wages steadily rise as company profits rise. The upper end wages have skyrocketed!

There is no reason that the lowest wages should not rise as well. That is my point. We can discuss how much of a raise is fair until the cows come home. But I think logic indicates that minimum wages must rise from time to time. The fact that most businesses that formerly paid minimum wage have had good business reasons to raise them anyway indicates that the minimum wage is lagging at present.

And it is never rude to simply disagree. :D

4. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I can agree that the federal minimum wage needs to be addressed, but $15 like what many were striking for is just rediculous. Imo, $8-$10 depending on the area would seem reasonable, I never thought a $.25-$.30 increase was ever sufficient, as the extra $10 or so a week just gets eaten up in payroll tax... but sensibility and common sense needs to be used here, just opening up the wallet isn't going to cut it.

5. red55

I imagine that figure is a starting point for negotiation. You have to give yourself some wiggle room.

6. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

If politicians would quit borrowing, printing, and taxing so damn much we wouldn't even be discussing a minimum wage hike. They have taxed our paychecks and goods to the limit. And they have printed and devalued our dollar to where its worth almost half of what it was just 7 or 8 years ago.

7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

No one wants to live there? It's less difficult to employ fewer people...

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Its not LA or Boston or Dallas but it isn't that bad. I can sure as hell think of a lot worse places to live

9. gyver

So if the minimum wage guy belowme gets a $2 mandatory increase that means my wages should go up $2 then.

10. gyver

Chicago. New York. New Jersey. Detroit. Philadelphia just to name a few

GregLSU likes this.