Medicinal Marijuana

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by tinsley, Oct 22, 2009.

1. tinsley

tinsley Veteran Member

MEDICINAL MARIJUANA
    by
    tgsam
    When a considerate mugger takes your money and then returns enough to cover your bus ride home, it does not atone for his crime.

You are not obliged to thank him.

Ignoring their birthright while obsequiously accepting crumbs from their own table, the medicinal marijuana folks have conceded legitimacy to unlawful Drug Prohibition; a fundamental error that will delay repeal indefinitely. I am reminded of the rather miniscule concessions made by religious orders whenever one of them realizes that support by the faithful is evaporating.

“He that would make his own life secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression, for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach himself.”
    - Thomas Paine

Office holders and government operatives will seize every opportunity to usurp power. Such is human nature and the nature of governments. The Drug War has set a dreadful legal precedent that is proving to be instrumental in the systematic destruction of constitutional American liberty. When a certain level of power is conceded by the People, how then, can one resist the usurping of other powers that are equally repugnant to the Principles upon which America is lawfully founded?

I urge the marijuana legalizers not to quit the fight before Drug Prohibition is repealed.

A long era of failing to see and acknowledge the wrong of a thing gives it a superficial appearance of being right. Although an increasing number of Americans sense the wrongness of the Drug War, they continue to legitimize it by begging for legalization rather than demanding repeal. This is evidence of how thoroughly unalienable rights have been eclipsed by government patronage and power in the American psyche.

Following shoulder surgery that was a little more than fifty percent successful, I continue to use hydrocodone for pain control. If I choose to replenish my supply, I must make a thirty-mile round trip in order to get written permission from a de facto agent of the State called a doctor. He's a really ugly dude with a heavy foreign accent who has absolutely no way to determine whether or not I'm faking.

What a farce.

In addition to effective pain control, the hydrocodone actually makes me feel good, a real perk for a weary 73 year-old retired Geezer. But I wouldn't divulge that to the doctor since self-medicating to feel good is frowned on in America. In fact, I've heard that drug manufacturers actually try to take the feelgood out of drugs to discourage individuals from using them recreationally. So then, from the prohibitionist’s point of view, it's okay to be disease and pain free but it's not okay to feel good while you're doing it.

Why is an adult American - a citizen of what was once considered the most free nation in the world - forced to get permission from an agent of the State to purchase that which ought to be available on the free market at a reasonably competitive cost?

Cui bono?

Who benefits from the now institutionalized status quo? Well, just follow the money trail and you'll soon find out.

end

1 person likes this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

preaching to the choir with me dude.

3. tinsley

tinsley Veteran Member

As far as I know, no one other than Thomas Szasz and the late Harry Brown have called for an across-the-board-repeal based on the unlawfulness of Drug Prohibition.

The legalizers aren't even close to a legitimate end to the abomination referred to as the War on Drugs.

tgsam

4. Tiger10

Tiger10 Founding Member

I have to agree. I would like to see it sold similar to cigarettes.
    But I dont belive in receration taxes so to speak,

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hey mon, will you send me some good ganja?

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I don't smoke pot but I think it should be legalized.
    If anything should be illegal it should be alcohol and I've been known to drink a few especially when I was younger.
    There is no doubt that alcohol can bring the worse out of people and from what I understand pot mellows you out, munchies, snoooozz
    How many lives would've been saved if alcohol was still illegal?

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The thing is though, it would never work. All prohibition does is create a black market for whatever is outlawed. You have to let the people do what they want as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of another human being. It should be treated just like alcohol. But there are way to many corporations who profit off of pot being illegal. Companies that run prisons trade stock based on number of prisoners, the higher the population, the more value the stock has. Drug companies, why would a drug company want humans to have a natural pain killer that they can grow at home, would make their drugs worthless, tobacco companies, pot would move in on their sales. Pot is not illegal because its bad for you, when it was banned it was banned for racial reasons, then it turned into a money issue. I think Nixon even thought that if you smoked pot, it would make you dislike Richard Nixon. Prohibition is the reason people are getting shot over drugs. Its the reason there is so much violence caused by the Cartels south of the border. It could all go away........... legalize!

8. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

It seems that weed has been illegal for a pretty long time. It's never been legal in my lifetime, so I've never tried it because I'm not big on breaking the law. I'm all about making it legal for medicine, if that's what it's for. Same as other medicines that are just medicines. I mean, other things have been illegal for a long time and I've never tried those, either. But I don't really care one way or the other.

Daniel Tosh said it best - Legalize it so potheads have nothing to talk about ever again. :lol:

9. tinsley

tinsley Veteran Member

The drug use is of relatively little consequence. It's the usurped power wielded by statists that is frightening. Punishing individuals for self-medicating and chemical self-pleasuring is worse than merely unacceptable; it is downright criminal.

tgsam

10. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Like I said, I don't care one way or the other.