Mediocre SEC?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by roygu, Mar 20, 2004.

1. sportbama101

sportbama101 Freshman

Thanks

thanks LSU fan :)

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

roygu,
    this was origionally posted by BasileTiger, I'm not sure if he is the one that saw these
    players or not but here goes, I do realize that this person is not a scout but where some of these kids are going speaks volumes enough IMO

Sourdough

IMO opinion Louisiana had a fairly great basketball recruit season this year. There are four kids who I think are very legitimate in Louisiana this year having watched him all at various games across the state.
    1. Albert Weber out of New Orleans's Higgins High, who signed with Alabama is a kid that we as LSU fans are going to love to hate in the near future. This kid has some serious game and plays very smart and controlled. We definitely could use his talent next year at the point guard position.

2. Shan Foster out of Metairie's Bonnabel High, who signed with Vanderbilt is also one of my favorites this year. He needs to put on about 25 pounds for SEC play and he has not yet finished growing. He is 6'7 now but the reason I really like him is his smarts and ability as a forward to create things. Plus this kid has major heart. Vanderbilt really landed a major prospect with Foster and he will come back to haunt us in the future as well but not as much as Weber.

3. Martin Zeno out of Lake Charles's Sulphur High, who signed with Bobby Knight at Texas Tech is also a super propect this season. He is more of a tweener (cross between a guard and forward) but I was impressed every single time I saw him play. Not signing him was a major mistake.

4. David Gomez out of Baton Rouge's Episcopal, who signed with Tulane, is perhaps the biggest blunder of our recruiting class. How we let this kid sign with Tulane is beyond my wildest imagination. This kid has some serious game and why we didn't recruit him is beyond me. Gomes is a Forward/Center but suited for a Power Forward in the College game. He schooled Davis every time he played him in high school and when I mean schooled this kid took everything from him but his address.

I would have signed anyone of these kids months before signing Temple or Ford.

3. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

If you are making the trip to Chicago anytime soon by all means pack an overcoat. It is right at freezing today with a wind chill of about 25 and gusts around 15 mph.

Back to basketball, this is Bama's first Sweet 16 since 1991 and we have never gone past the Sweet 16. '76, '82, '85, '86, '87, '89, '91 we went home with a loss in the Sweet 16 all those years. Now here we sit with a team that most of us were hoping could make the NIT going against defending National Champ Syracuse. We dare to dream big.

4. BB

BB Founding Member

Hey Tider, congrats on the Bama Sweet 16 - anything to numb the pain before football season - right?

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

"They get wooly...girls get wooly...cuz of all the stress..."

Name THAT movie, BengalB. :D :D :D

6. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Sourdoughman, I agree, it looks like someone made a lot of mistakes. Only time will tell. I think they recruited Foster but maybe he liked the academis of Vanderbilt. It was after he comitted to Vandy that we got a comitment from Ford.
    From watching Jackson, the freshman point guard at Texas Tech, who is from Monroe, I don't understand why we didn't sign him.
    Just like when DB was coach, too many good prospects leaving the state for us to ever consistantly compete at the top echelon.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Derek Zimmerman, the north La. native, and recently graduated PG from State comes to mind also. He supposedly wanted to come to LSU badly, but
    Brady wasted a scholly on someone else. That decision came back to haunt
    Brady in more ways than one.

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/021204/spo_uhigh001.shtml

From the article:
    Davis, U-High's 6-foot-8 post player, finished with 22 points and 14 rebounds. Stanford football signee Anthony Kimble contributed 16 points. Temple added eight points.

Gomez, Episcopal's 6-7 post player, led the Knights with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Donnie McDowell added 17 points, while Garrett Staudermann tallied seven points.

"Give U-High the credit ... they took on the challenge of No. 1 versus No. 2 and they took it to us," Episcopal coach Chris Beckman said. "I thought the effort was there. I thought we played hard, but I didn't feel like we played with emotion and I'm not sure I understand that.

"In the first half, I don't think Gomez worked hard enough to get the ball and I don't think we worked hard enough to get it to him, either. Then in the second and third quarters, we made some mistakes -- some turnovers -- that allowed them to extend their lead. That made very hard for us to come back."

And this is an article on the first game where Gomez 'took everything but his address':
    http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/011704/spo_prepehs001.shtml

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Thank you MikeD, very interesting articles.
    Somehow I wish we could've got Gomez and Weber coming in next year also.
    Zeno could've given us some serious depth since he could play sg or sf.
    Time will tell

Agreed Roygu :D

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I honestly don't know so I'm asking. You guys act like Brady could have had these guys and he passed on them. Were they recruited by LSU?