Mel Kipers 2005 Draft Top 15

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ok awesome, Apr 27, 2004.

1. friday

friday Founding Member

funny, had this conversation with a media friend recently...

who speaks to NFL scouts regularly who claim that guys like kiper and detelier can spout out eveything about these guys (40 times, high school stats, what the guy had for breakfast....) but as far as projecting a player's projected performance in the NFL, a fan who follows this stuff can make as good an asssumption. the problem is that the media builds up these guys based mostly on the combines and workouts, almost dismissing a player's college career. remember the hype ryan leaf got from the combine? granted, he had a good college career, but a number one pick over peyton? although michael clayton went in the top 15, a couple of teams passed him up for guys like reggie williams and lee evans because he ran a 4.5. these teams were relying too much on numbers and not enough on field performance. what's interesting is that some teams get caught up in the media hype of a player and it directly influences who they pick. if you don't think that every team has espn on in their offices and weight rooms, you're wrong. just something to think about.

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Good points but just wanted to correct a few things. Michael Clayton was picked ahead of Lee Evans and Peyton was picked ahead of Ryan Leaf. I'm pretty sure Kiper was saying how the Colts would always be a losing organization and the decision to pick Manning over Leaf was a perfect example of why they would never field a competitive team. It's not the only time Kiper has been wrong.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Oops, wrong about Lee Evans. He did have a good career before the injury and also after though.

4. friday

friday Founding Member

LSU99

you're right about peyton, I forgot...for some reason I thought that SD made the terrible decision of Leaf over Manning based on Leaf's unbelievable combine. isn't that what kiper and the media want you to think? it wouldn't be good news, if it where the other way, would it?

5. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

I have a really hard time that Pollock would get drafted before Spears. I mean Pollock had a great sophmore year, but he really didn't impress me much last year. If I had to pick between them I would defiently take Spears.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Agreed. Pollack isn't as good as Spears, in my opinion. He mainly makes for a good story, along with his "life-long buddy" David Greene. That is where 90% of his hype has come from--he's good, but he's not all-world, he's not top 15.