Men's Basketball Recruting (2014)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by mrgreen21, Mar 18, 2013.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

When Johnny Jones came out in that Delorean dressed as Doc Brown I lost my shit. It was freaking aswesome. This team is going to be FUN to watch.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Yes, and no. Awesome performances, but meaningless dunk displays like that always make me cringe. Why? You may be too young to remember that it was in a dunk contest at a summer camp that Randy Livingston wrecked his knee before he ever put on the LSU uni.

3. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Lake Charles PG who is now at Odessa JC Josh Grey is turning some serious head and reports are the Tigers are one of those heads...He's played 3 games and is averaging 38pt and 9 assist! Not sure we need another PG but those are some nice numbers..

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Someone to watch for the spring I suppose. This team could use a bridge between Hickey and our younger PG/signees. And, Grey has been mentioned in LSU circles for a while now. All we can do with 2014 kids though is wait and see though--need to see how the end of the season shakes out with attrition and certain players maybe realizing their minutes will be reduced on a stacked team.

As for your PGs, here's the word from 2015 prospect, Chad Lott....

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2013/10/byrd_point_guard_chad_lott_wat.html

bayareatiger likes this.
  5. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Josh Gray is a tiger!

6. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

I saw that, tell us about him.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

He scores a bunch, creates off the dribble, and hits fouls shots. A Great get for Johnny Jones. I have never been more happy to have been so wrong about Johnny Jones. Amazing turnaround. We should be able to compete for a long time.

mctiger and Tiger in NC like this.
  8. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Wow! Just Wow! JJ and the rest of the coaching staff have done in a single season what I expected would take them 2-3, at least recruiting wise. They already have us in a position to be competitive in the SEC year in and year out, just a matter of time before we are back to being a perennial tournament team the way we were back in Daddy Dale's days in the Deaf Dome. I got to watch them play UMass but that's the only game I've seen. Given what I've heard about Jerrell Martin, I am not sure that UMass beats us if he is on the floor. Even so, if our coaching staff does their job then we beat that team by season's end. Man, this is exciting!

9. TGer'nLHornLand

Well, if it means anything, the kid is a legit JUCO who has bounced around, but done so with some legit history. Signed out of high school with a SEC school, but then ended up doing freshman year at Texas Tech, playing close to 26-7 minutes a game as a freshman, and scoring some close to 10 points per game in the Big12. But, then transferred to JUCO, Odessa College in TX. Now, is just demolishing JUCO competition. Here's the official write-up:

http://tigerrag.com/basketball/lsu-basketball-adds-fourth-2014-signee-josh-gray

Most importantly, he just scored 60+ in a game recently. The kid is absolutely something we need... a 2014 mature combo guard who can play point or SG, but who can legitimately score. We have some solid guards in the line up but no true scorer in the back court since Marcus Thornton. You line both Josh Gray and Hornsby in the backcourt and you've got a crazy legit backcourt and can mix in with Quarterman and Morgan coming off the bench. At the same time these guys being Juniors allow you still to recruit a very talented 2015-16 LA class(es) of guards. Will have to make sure this kid is mature and his bouncing around isn't a sign of other issues. But, in the meantime, it completes a very balanced need filling 2014 signing class. It also hedges bets on the future in the spring and beyond--not sure the numbers add up, so CJJ may be thinking that someone's leaving after the spring....

10. TGer'nLHornLand

So, if you are interested in learning more about Josh Gray, this kid is really intriguing. A checkered past, but very solid Point Guard/combo shooting guard prospect. There's no wonder why he got offers from big conferences, including Louisville, and other BCS conferences. Found this video on him on youtube...

Any kid that comes in and is all Big12 Freshman, and scores close to 10 ppg as a freshman should raise some eyebrows. What I see is solid all round game, with steals, assists and a nice pure stroke. What the kid gives us is a nice mixture of scoring at the PG position with maturity and that all-round game that parts of Stringer and Hickey separately lack. I really am looking forward to what a backcourt of Gray and Hornsby can do together on the court. It's a very nice transition also from the TJ era backcourt to a younger CJJ backcourt--Quarterman and J. Patterson.

Kids have a long journey to the L, and I'm glad that we're seeing Josh as a Junior and Senior at LSU.

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1577931