Men's Basketball Recruting (2014)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by mrgreen21, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Ditto.

Is he a project, a high caliber player, any other info?

2. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

According to what I'm reading he is a 4 star recruit. Great job by JJ & coachs. I'm sure Mr green & Hornland will post more soon. Mmmm wonder who is gonna be next? Basketball is gettin exciting again!

stevescookin likes this.
  3. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

BOOM. There it is. Sorry couldn't post sooner. But Coach JJ and David Patrick are doing some WORK in Tigertown. What can I say, this one snuck up on us, and he's a big one. In actuality, CJJ has been recruiting Elbert Robinson since he was a high school freshman and when CJJ was still at North Texas. In the end, the coaches keeping on Elbert and a few visits to Tigertown, including one in Death Valley vs. Auburn, SEALED the deal.

There's quite a bit of youtube footage out there on the guy, but most of it is from his AAU highlights this spring/summer...
    Some's even loaded very recently:

Here's my take. The quick comparison is easy to make to Shaq... another 7 footer, around 300 lbs, from Texas. But, the way I view Elbert's game, he's going to be more finesse than Shaq was. Perhaps a better comparison is Stanley Roberts, which is not to say that Elbert's ceiling isn't higher than Stanley's. What he has is great size, good hands, good touch around the basket and short jumper. Kid hits 78% of his FTs, which is unlike Shaq, if that tells you something. He's not a great leaper (would have to lose some weight to change that aspect of his game), but he's mobile enough to block shots and get in position for rebounds. What he will do is instantly be a presence down low as a freshman, taking up space, getting rebounds, blocking shots, and commanding attention for fouls. I don't see him as a "project" given the number of big 7 footers there are--for example, you can look at what Josh Smith did for UCLA as a freshman. However, what he can develop over 2 or 3 years is remains to be seen, working with the strength and conditioning team, and his learning to play in CJJ's faster system. If the kid loses say 20-25 lbs, keeps his weight down and tones his baby fat to muscle, the guy has the potential to be a first round draft pick in a few years.

Right now, regardless, the kid's a 4 star, ranked in the top 60, and rated around a top 5 center in this class. The way I view it, though, you can't teach size. And, 7', 300 lb is hard to teach. He's also exactly what the doctor order in terms of adding talent to this team... with the number of athletic rangy forwards we have, getting a big man space eater to control the paint is EXACTLY what we needed to form a dominant frontline for the foreseeable future.

BAM, I am stoked.

Now, the question as posed, is who is next. Technically, we don't have any more spots. I think the variables now are will JOB leave early, and will there be additional attrition. CJJ and staff are taking the wait and see approach with guards now, and I think they are definitely trying to keep the fires warm with guys like Miles Reynolds, Jaylen Patterson, etc. Given that Epps and Robinson fill a very nice need of local LA forward with a high ceiling, and a hard to find TX seven footer also with huge ceiling, CJJ can afford to wait a bit here. There will be more guards that potentially come out of the wood work after watching LSU play this season and noting the 2014 class that has committed.

Damn, when is the season tipping off!!!!???

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Doesn't look very quick or mobile, but hopefully getting with LSU's strength and conditioning program will fix that.

5. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

agree he still has some lingering baby fat and his vertical isn't spectacular but also agree that a year or two with the strength and conditioning coaches at LSU and his agility will improve. as TNH said, you can't teach size and this guy has it in abundance. haven't been so excited about the start of an LSU basketball season since back in the days of the Deaf Dome. JJ and crew are getting in done on the recruiting trail.

mrgreen21 likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Colis Temple is from Kentwood.

7. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

My momma knew Collis when he was a baby on the lap of his momma, his daddy owned a small general store outside of Kentwood. She was so excited when he signed with and played for the Tigers.

8. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Just picked up a commitment from 5"11 pg Jayln Patterson who was on a visit with his teammate 5 star 2015 PF Ben Simmons...Also 5 star 2015 C Elijah Thomas was on campus...Thomas attends Prime Prep & is said to be good friends with Jordan Mickey & current commit Elbert Robinson... You gotta love what Coach JJ is doing, two 5 star big men on campus on the same weekend!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  9. mrgreen21

10. mrgreen21