Men's Basketball: What's LSU's top strengths, weaknesses heading into Tourney play?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Mar 6, 2005.

1. inNickwetrust

inNickwetrust Founding Member

Re: Men's Basketball: What's LSU's top strengths, weaknesses heading into Tourney pla

wildcard is antonio hudson, mark my words, if bass and big baby each play as they have all year and hudson plays like he did yesterday ELITE 8 my friends, when hudson drives and hits 3's like that and we play good defense, we are a tough team to beat

2. BB

BB Founding Member

Blaming the Wisconsin loss on the refs is pretty weak - very Auburn Fanish. We made exactly ZERO halftime adjustments in either of those games. Tournament basketball is about conditioning, scoring runs, and adjusting to the competition as quickly as possible.

Wisconsin won 61-48

Wisconsin defeated #1 Seed Arizona

48 points was the lowest total on the year for LSU with 57 being the previous low

Wisconsin scored the final 11 points of the first half

LSU was scoreless over the final 5:03 of the first half

LSU had 14 points at half (yes, that was the team with Stromile)

Wisconsin took twice as many shots as LSU in the first half and the Tigers had as many turnovers as points. LSU finished with 23 turnovers to Wisconsin's 9

Wisconsin advanced despite missing 18 of its first 23 shots and shooting 38 percent

Swift and Smith had 5 shots total between them in the first half

Stromile's only first half shot was a 3 pointer for the opening basket

Wisconsin finished 6th in the Big Ten that season

Stromile took 5 shots in 37 minutes of play

They beat our asses - had Wisconsin been even moderately successful on offense it would have been hardwood murder.

3. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

If we face a team that shoots over 45% from 3 point range I don't like our chances. This whole season LSU has not stoped the 3 point shot. I think this team can get to the sweet sixteen but if wehave to face a small school that plays fundamental basketball and shoots the 3...we could get upset. We have been able to win our close games this year but I'm worried that this trend might wear out...other then that GEAUX TIGERS.

4. BB

BB Founding Member

We can't forget that a 12 Seed Beats a 5 Seed Every Year - watch out for that 5 slot...

5. clair

clair Rockets

Re: Men's Basketball: What's LSU's top strengths, weaknesses heading into Tourney pla

Biggest Weakness:

Inconsistency!

We can go on a 20-5 run, then give up a 20-0 one 5 mins later

6. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Good points across the board.

LSu is a very mental team, when things go bad, they snowball. Right now this team sees itself as world beaters. They took Vandy's best shot and held on, they beat Bama and Florida. The only teams LSU looked really bad against were Kentucky, Tennessee, and Bama 1. If LSU can find itself with teams that are not as physical, we roll. The transition game, when we play it, is one of the best in the country. We can not, however, deal with a smothering, hand-checking (it is a foul) defense. It's a sad comment, but if we come across an officiating crew that allows a team to mug Davis or Bass, we're done.

I disagree about playing a Big 10 team, outside of Illinios and Michigan State. LSU would do well against Minnesota, Indiana, or Wisconsin. I would kill for 2nd round game against Washington or a mid-major. I do not want to see anyone from the Big East or the ACC (well, maybe Virginia Tech).

Hopefully, just once, LSU will take the tournament championship as a goal and not a tune-up for the NCAA. Our side of the bracket will be a great reflection of the tournament. I'm not the Brown Suit's biggest fan, but I think he can BEAT Kentucky on Saturday. The Georgia Dome will be blue, but it ain't Rupp.

7. LSUweezie

LSUweezie Founding Member

Strenghts:
    1. Bass & Davis besides the obvious both can hit make FT's.
    2. Mithcell and Minor make up for the height w/ speed, quickness,and just raw athleticism. They are extremely tough and not afraid to mix it up or drive the lane and take on the big men.
    3. Any player on the starting 5 can lead the team in scoring on any giving night.
    4.This team is extremly hot right now,they've gelled, and are playing as a team. Starters and bench players know their roles.
    5. This team can play uptempo or grind out effectively.

Weakness:
    1.This team can't afford an injury all 7 contributors need to be healthy. I belive Lazare will get 3-7 minutes a game throughout the tournament so the rotation will go up to 8.
    2.Our perimeter has been inconsistent. We need atleast 2 of the perimeter players to play well not great just contribute.
    3.Whipple must shoot the ball we can not afford for his man to sag off and take away the entry pass to the post. Even if he doesn't make his shot he just needs to take 2-3 shots a game he gets open looks on virtually every offensive set.
    4.Perimeter deefense is not great at times. But has came along way the last couple of weeks. Also our transition D has really improved.
    5.Lack of inexperience in the tournament could hurt.

Given the right matchups I see this team reaching the sweet 16 and from there on anything can happen.

8. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

I'm not sure how wise it would be to throw Lazare in there when he has hardly played all year. Unless they give him some quality minutes in the SEC tourny, I would be really afraid of him making stupid mistakes because he's nervous. I'm not saying that he's a bad player, it's just that I don't think now is the time to go messing with the rotation.

9. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Biggest strength: Our players finally "got" and "matured into" their own roles on the team. No one is confused about what part they play on this team.

Biggest weakness: John Brady

10. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

LOL! Well, at least LSU won't have Gene Keady and Purdue to lose to by 20-30 points this time around.