Men's Basketball: What's LSU's top strengths, weaknesses heading into Tourney play?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Mar 6, 2005.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Vandy didn't exactly resemble Grambling.l

2. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

LSU has no depth, the starting five are weak at two spots....
    with breaks they could get to the sweet sixteen.

LSU chances ride on Minor and Hudson's play and what kind of hlep from the beach it can get.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Are they playing the tourney in Miami? :confused: :lol:

I think LSU's starting 5 is as strong as almost any team in the country right now, so I have to say I disagree with being weak at 2 spots. Minor has matured into a good point guard with occasional laspes and after watching other point guards from the better teams it looks like they all have that same problem. Very few teams have 5 very good starters, although Hudson has been inconsistent he is probably as good as many oither teams 5th guy. I like this starting lineup a lot. Neltnor and Whipple are very good role players off the bench. Lack of depth can be a big factor in the SEC tourney since they will have to play back to back to back if they make the finals. But in the NCAA's it shouldn't be quite as bad since it's at most 2 games in 3 days.

4. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Strengths: Brandon Bass - even Tubby Smith said he's the best player in the SEC this year. Coupled with Big Baby and Neltner off the bench the LSU front court must be respected. LSU's very athletic and has improved as the season has progressed. Could be peaking at the right time. Foul shooting has been a big positive.
    Weakness: Lack of a consistent perimeter shooter. For LSU to have success in the SEC and NCAA Tourneys Antonio Hudson will need to elevate his play and he will have to knock down the 3-pointer with some consistency. I almost hate to see the Tigers get wide-open looks because they usually clang them instead of making the defense pay.
    ?????: The NCAA Tourney is usually about how well the guards perform. Minor has improved this year and will need to continue to play in control because when he's on and playing well the Tigers are really tough. Mitchell has been steady most of the year but will need to hit those key shots and open 3-pointers for the Tigers to advance. I like the way Whipple comes in slows and settles things down, but he's no threat offensively and I wish there would be at least some chance of him being scoring threat so defenses would have to respect that and not be able to sluff off of him.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

strengths:
    balance
    post offense
    post defense

weaknesses:
    attacking zone D
    consistency
    killer instinct
    (not depth)