Mett watch update

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rwilliams, Mar 14, 2011.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

We may just be overestimating what Mett can immediately bring to this offense. If we started out the season with 2 or 3 OOC cupcakes like most schools, that might be enough time to iron out the main issues and settle into Krag's offense. But this is going to be a really brutal stretch for a QB unaccustomed to playing top tier teams. Les will probably want experience to guide us through those games, and for better or worse, that's JJ and Lee.

I'm still holding out hope that Krag can turn these guys into decent QBs, but if we're still seeing JJ waiting 30 seconds for a WR to get open and taking a 15-yd sack on 2nd down, then we're in trouble.

2. dudley

dudley oops!

I'm interested in seeing what Lee can do with some real coaching. Quit throwing going backwards, plant that back foot and step forward.

3. LSUFan1950

LSUFan1950 Founding Member

If Jefferson is the QB that he was in the Texas A & M game, I be happy if he is the starter. But if he is the same Ole QB that he was the past 3 years then Coach Miles has to make a change.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It would be a lot of pressure for Mettenberger to start on the road against Oregon . . . but we play in a pressured league. I'm not too sure that Jefferson is any better prepared for the pressure at Oregon. Lee throws interceptions under pressure and Jefferson throws incompletions. One of the things that I'm eager to see from Mettenberger is if he holds up under pressure. The sooner we find out the better, in my book.

5. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'm not so sure about that either, and there's the dilemma. But I'm also not sure that some competent coaching won't considerably help them, either. Jefferson is never going to be a field general, and I'm under no illusions that he can pick apart defenses like Peyton. But he could still learn a simple situational decision-making process to make him serviceable.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

jefferson is who we think he is.

and he's our starter for the foreseeable future regardless the practice reports.

its time we accept this because its not changing. coaching isnt going to make a huge difference at this point.

7. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

As I have said the job is jefferson's to lose. I don't think he will lose it in practice. Jj supposedly does well in practice. Jj will lose the job on the field. First he must be on the field to lose it. Jj is our senior qb returning starter. It doesn't matter what we think or who we think should start. Miles will try to get jj to play like he did in the a&m game. If jj plays like that all year we will do well. If jj stinks it up mett will be given a shot. I think miles goes with what he knows before he goes with an unknown.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think Miles goes with Kragthorp. I think Kragthorp goes with the best quarterback in August practice.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Not sure where all the JJ is always great at practice stuff started. Last year he did slightly better than Lee but neither were very good in all the scrimmages in the spring and fall. We only witnessed the debacle of the open spring game.

At least we are seeing some improvement in that area based on the information that came out of the 1st scrimmage last week.

10. kirbysmith4life

kirbysmith4life Founding Member

Thank you.
    I have been saying this for quite some time.

JJ is brave enough to stay in the pocket, he just doesn't trust what he sees, and is often inaccurate.

JL has great accuracy and can delivers the ball, but he cowers at the first sign of pressure.

So we had 6 one way/ a half dozen the other.

All of Mett's footage shows me a QB capable of reading a defense, stepping up in the pocket, and trusting his accuracy and arm strength enough to make the tough trough into a tight space.

Jefferson is usually a one read, hold the ball waiting for the receiver to beeat his man by 10 steps and get sacked, or scramble into a sack, or scramble for the occasional big play.

Lee has a quick release, but he throws the ball wheter the man is open or not because he fears being hit. I've seen JJ deliver many balls with defenders closing in on him. JL folds up and ducks his head if a defender flashes in front of his face.

This is why I cant wait until the spring game.
    Live bullets, full speed...
    Thats where the starting positions will be determined.

Inter-squad scrimmages and the long awaited April 9th
    :tigereye: