Mett watch update

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rwilliams, Mar 14, 2011.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Nice write-up but you give the spring game too much credit. At LSU we are just balancing satisfying the fans while not making it too complicated. Kind of like we are hiding our stuff. We have a weird format compared to most. Starters will be determined in the Fall for the most part.

2. kirbysmith4life

kirbysmith4life Founding Member

I got you bhelm.

What happened is I wrote the last line of my post backwards.

When I mentioned the inter-sqad scrimmages, I'm talking about those ones that take place in August. You know, where they actually keep stats.
    I know the spring game is too early to determine all starters, especially when 15+ potential players haven't evan made it to campus yet (2011 recruits).

So its the spring game, and those intense scrimmages that happen as the opening kickoff approaches.
    :tigereye:

3. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Shreveport Times Zach Mettenberger tosses 2 TDs in scrimmage

4. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Zach Mettenberger tosses 2 TDs in LSU scrimmage | Shreveporttimes | shreveporttimes.com

I think the bigger standout in the article is James Wright.

5. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

That might deserve it's own thread!

6. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

7. PSU2LSU

PSU2LSU Veteran Member

After two scrimmages at LSU, head coach Les Miles intimated that junior college transfer Zach Mettenberger is a little behind veterans Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee in the battle for the starting quarterback gig in Baton Rouge. “Jarrett Lee is having a very good spring,” Miles said. “Jordan Jefferson is playing his best football. Zach Mettenberger is getting the offense and making some nice throws. He's a talented guy, but the two veterans have the advantage with the understanding of the offense. After time, Zach will compete with his advantages. Right now, the experience of the veterans is showing.” Mettenberger did toss two scores in the team’s latest scrimmage, so the Tigers certainly have one intriguing competition taking place on the practice field this spring.

I think the competition alone will make everyone better.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I sure hope so. This situation has the feel of Josh Booty/Rohan Davey all over again. If Jefferson ends up costing us the Oregon opener, we're going to have a s***storm of monumental proportions.

9. PSU2LSU

PSU2LSU Veteran Member

IMO Jefferson will be fine as long as the coaching staff doesn't take him out of his element. The Tigers aren't a run and shoot team. Their a team that pounds the ball inside and plays physical. I hate to say 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but in reality that's the way they are set up (at least last year). Great running backs and a great offensive line meant that they should run the ball and play action pass. I think its the same this year, run the ball till they show they can stop you. Run the ball, get it to 3rd and short.. When Jefferson drops back he has an option to scramble for the first or throw for the first.

Either way I think it will be up to the coaching staff to put their players in position to win. They know what they got in terms of personnel and they just need to make sure they put their players in the position to win games.

10. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I suspect Jefferson is going to have to throw more than you may think, at least in the early part of the season. LSU does not have a proven, dependable back like Ridley anymore to grind out yardage. We have a lot of promising RBs, but it'll take time for one to fill that role. Similarly, we don't have a "go-to" receiver at this point. If Jefferson's going to start against Oregon, he's going to have to come out of his comfort zone and be the experienced veteran to lead the team and make plays.