Mett watch update

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rwilliams, Mar 14, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Les is pimping his upperclassmen and trying to keep one from transferring and the other from backsliding. Can't say I blame him. It also keeps some pressure off the young guy. Les may not know X and O very well, but he knows coaching athletes.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

JJ has good games when preceded by a lengthy period of preparation. Last season vs UNC, Bama and A&M were his best games. In previous years his best games were the SEC CG and Bowl Game. All were preceded by open dates. I have no doubts that JJ will start and play well versus OU. My questions are how he will fare throughout the season.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Every time someone says this, they tend to omit the Ole Miss game from last year, which was a career game for him.

I think he thrives on momentum much moreso than preparation.

4. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

I agree with this. JJ seemed to step up and play better when in the big games. I believe he will have a good game vs Oregon. As far as the RBs and rushing attack is concerned I say we will excel in that just like last year. Our O line is veteran and with a combo of Ware, Ford, Blue and Gore we will be able to run the ball well.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I don't think it is as much big games as it is games where he has much longer to prepare. We need a QB that can prepare in a week, that's how it's done in the NCAA.

6. Contained Chaos

Yeah, like JJ did against Ole Miss last year. . .

7. TwistedTiger

Or like JJ did against Florida last year?

8. TwistedTiger

You're also seem to be calling a game where he completed 13 passes for 1TD and 1 int his crowning achievement. That's part of the problem, expectations of the QB position at LSU are so low that just not losing the game at that position is a huge success.

9. Contained Chaos

I'm not "calling" it that. It was his highest yardage total ever. Expectations, in the absolute sense, have nothing to do with it. Everything that we're asserting about him is strictly relative to his past performances. When he's even doing "pretty good" (like 10/19 in the Cotton Bowl), our offense blows the eff up.

My point, however, is that the thoughts about him only doing well when he has extra time to prepare is only a half truth. He's not a heady QB, so I don't think it would help him as much as a more studious QB. I think what happens is that the extra time allows him to put his past (poor) performances behind him and look ahead.

10. russnrvr

russnrvr Founding Member

"He is not a heady quarterback".... That is an understatement. If he needs time and momentum every time to have a "good" game, we are in trouble.. He has struggled in the "big" games that count. Trying to figure out how we won 11 games in 2010. Trying not to think about if we had a top 50 QB in place. He could very well cost us the Oregon and West Virginia games. Regardless of OCs, offenses, excuses, he has not improved significantly from day one. Combo of Shep and Mett would keep defenses on their heels even knowing what was coming. But noooooo, let's be Miles-esque and continue struggling with offensive skill player positioning. We are 9-3 team with the schedule this year with JJ at the helm..