Mett watch update

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rwilliams, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Wow... already? Relax, it's not even April yet.. lol

FWIW - I and many others around here figured we were a 9-3 team last year with JJ at the helm. Many considered that very optimistic. Regardless of how Miles is getting these wins, he gets them. You gotta give the man that.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

If Jefferson is not twice as good as he was last year, Mett will start by game 4.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I'm giving JJ a clean slate for this year. If he starts against Oregon and has a solid game, I'll be rooting for him to be the full-time guy all year. If he struggles for the opening 2-3 series for Oregon or another early season big game, bring in Mett or Lee. If Mett wins the job in the offseason and starts for Oregon, that is also fine with me. The only thing I'm not fine with is JJ struggling for a half (or more) with no relief.

Why do I want to give JJ a clean slate? I just think he's been handcuffed the past couple of years. There were a few stats from last year that were really mind boggling. One of them (I think) was that we either ran the ball on 1st and 10 or threw a short pass (under 10 yds) something like 30-40 straight times. FINALLY, against Bama, they allowed JJ to throw the ball downfield on 1st and 10 and it was like night and day. Play calling and coaching up the QB can make a big difference. Having JJ's ability to pick up 5 yds on a 3rd and 4 can be invaluable also.

If anyone can dig up some of those stats from last year, I'd like to check them out again. I think some of them were from Hanagriff. I didn't really think Lee had much of a chance to be aggressive during his playing time either.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Les and Crowton had Jefferson playing scared from Day 1 b/c of Lee's pick-6 problems. That is a recipe for disaster for a QB's confidence.