Mettenberger vs Jefferson/Lee

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by b_leblanc, Jan 12, 2011.

1. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Does Mett get his chance to start or will CLM be more inclined to play the two seniors?

2. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Miles will play our best QB.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

After Jefferson's play vs A&M, he has cemented his starting job in 2011.

I do not believe there will be a realistic healthy competition.

And I believe it will be a mistake, especially if we have a new OC and a new offense to learn in which Jefferson will have no more of an edge than the JC transfer coming in.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

this is rhetorical, right?

ill set the over/under on Mettenberger snaps for all of 2011-12 @ 10.5.

5. islstl

I do believe we will save his 2 years of play to 2012 and 2013.

6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

It makes no sense for Les to go after Mett intending to make him ride the pine in 2011. If Jefferson is our man, then he could've simply redshirted the Rivers kid, picked up another QB recruit and let them sit and learn behind Jefferson and Lee, and let one of them take the reigns in 2012. You go after a JUCO because you have an immediate need that has to be filled.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear reports out of spring practice to the effect of "Mett has a lot of potential, but he just doesn't have the system down yet."

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

of course you're going to hear that no matter what happens. he has 3 years eligibility.

then he will ride the pine until the following year.

JJ is your starter. Fully entrenched after the A&M showing no matter what happens.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

So Les goes out of his way midseason to get a JUCO that he only plans to bench and get 2 years of production out of, when he could get 3-4 years out of a redshirt freshman recruit and use the extra schollie to fill another position?

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Remember the drumming he gave Ga. Tech 2 bowls ago? What'd he do consistently the 2 seasons following? I'm not so sold on JJ yet, has he had a 300 yard game yet?
    Hopefully Miles recognizes Metts abilities and there's open competition, after all oregon found a good qb that miles wouldve prolly switched to WR... maybe he's not the best QB talent judge out there?

10. islstl

Correct.

He is thinking down the line. 2012 and 2013 seasons. After Jefferson and Lee leave, he has no one proven to take over. He certainly can't be sold on a raw but talented Rivers. So he gets himself some insurance at QB. In steps Mettzenberger.

At the time he recruited him, I am sure he figured the kid could possibly take over in 2011 if Jefferson didn't improve. Jefferson hasn't really improved, but the A&M game will unfortunately paint an unrealistic picture that he could have a breakout year as a senior.

We're likely looking at another "if only we had a legit QB, we'd win every game" season again.

We can only pray that we install a new offensive system (new OC) that takes advantage of what Jefferson does best and minimalizes the exposure of his weaknesses.