Mettenberger vs Jefferson/Lee

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by b_leblanc, Jan 12, 2011.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Ha, I concede the point. :hihi:

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

3 to play 3 ::)

3. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

I have no idea why or how people are so high on Mettenberger when the guy has proven absolutely nothing. I think it's more hope than actual belief. Size =/= Football smarts. We had a QB for a couple years who shall be unnamed who characterizes that.

For those that are saying we'll be in the national championship AND have Mettenberger starting...those two do not coincide. The only way he'll start is there are injuries or if JJ and JL stink it up so bad that Les is forced to play him, but by then it'll be by the Arkansas game. Remember 2008? Andrew Hatch got hurt, Lee stunk it up, and Jefferson started the last 2 games of the season.
    Your team isn't good if the 3rd string QB is starting by midseason...

4. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Let's see ... Jefferson will be a senior. He enters the year with a 21-7 record as a starter. He rushed for 400 yards and 7 TDs last season, and will be coming off of four good games out of his last five.

Pretty sure he's the starter.

Good problem to have though, with Mett waiting in the wings. With three years of eligibility he'll have plenty of time to play. But it won't happen right away.

For those who say JJ hasn't improved, or that Lee should have gotten more PT down the stretch ... here are his numbers in the last 5 games:

53 completions on 86 attempts (61%)
    788 yards
    5 TDs
    2 INTs

Throw out the 4/10, 51 yard performance against ULM, and he averaged 185 yards per game after the Auburn loss.

Not elite numbers by any stretch, but certainly good enough to win a title when combined with a good defense and run game. For comparison, Matt Flynn averaged 200 per game in 2007. Granted, that was for a whole season, but my point is that Jefferson was giving us solid production at the end of the year. And solid is all you need. If he can revert to his 2009/end of 2010 form, there's no reason to say we'd be squandering a championship run.

You could do worse than a senior QB with good wheels. Many a national championship has been won with that formula.

5. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

yeah, thats what I thought

and if you dont think there will be an open competition for arguable the most unproductive position in BR for the last two years :insane: not saying JJ wont be starting day 1 but he will have to beat out Mett for it....especially with a new OC coming in.

IMO, if JJ was the cut and dry started...Crowton would still be here next season.

6. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

There is pretty much nothing Lee can do to get ahead of JJ (or get more snaps)...he can go out and beat UF and barely see the field vs McNesse State the next week. JJ has two good opening drives and Lee doesnt see the field the rest of the game except to take the knee. Do you remember what it took for Lee to get snaps in 2010???

Lee knows this...and with Mett coming in, I dont believe Lee sticks around past spring ball.

7. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

I don't agree with this!

Why would you think Les would not put the BEST QB on the field to win the game??

8. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

That's really good to hear!

So no "sky is falling" talk if JJ struggles again next season. We just insert Mett and see how he does against SEC-caliber defenses.

And the best part is that he can still be our #1 QB for 2012 AND 2013.

Honestly if he starts in 2011 and win we win it all, wouldn't that put us holding out breath to see if he would come back for the 2012 season?

Then we would all be scratching our heads saying , "Oh, great - here comes that red-shirt Freshman Rivers with ZERO experience leading the Tigers for the next few years!"

No thanks - I am liking this 5 year plan better and better:

2011 = 80/20 JJ / ZM
    2012 = 100% ZM
    2013 = 80/20 ZM/SR
    2014 = 100% SR
    2015 = 100% SR

Hey honestly - look at how bad of a Job FLA did grooming Brantly. Honestly I don't know how good he really is, but after Tebow left they put him in pretty cold and he struggled mightily. He might not even be on the team for his senior season the way they are talking down here.

I think this is a best case scenario for building something LSU has not had since the Era of Matt's (Mauck & Flynn)!

9. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

If CLM was smart, he'd start Met in 2011 to get him the experience running the LSU offense he needs for 2012.

I mean .. hey, we just came off an 11-2 season, won the bowl, and Les just signed a 7 year deal.

We have great RBs, and some good returning WRs. The Defense will be a test this year, which makes them an easy excuse if we lose. After two years .. it is clear that any game JJ plays well in is no indication of the future. He simply is not consistent.

But ... as islet noted ... "unfortunately" JJ had a good game against A&M. So, while the smart money would start Mett and begin the development, I'm not taking that bet.

10. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Umm.....you do know Cam and Auburn just won a NC, right?