Michael Clayton

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by chuck, Aug 19, 2003.

1. chuck

chuck Founding Member

I saw this on another thread . .Michael Clayton playing defense. I heard (I didn't see the game, I was at teh Capital One Bowl) that he did a pretty good job vs. Texas. Does it appear that Clayton will see significant playing time on the defensive side of the ball?

tia

2. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

I had said in the past that he wouldn't play defense this year, I guess I was wrong. Saban said he is our best Safety, so I expect him to play defense for about 15-20 plays a game.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I would say it depends on the total depth at the WR position. If we get thin he will stay at WR but if we can afford to have him on the defensive side of the ball then we will use him there.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Considering we lost 2 frosh receivers who would have seen considerble playing time, I would think his play on D would be diminished b/c of it. I would expect to see him on D in crucial situations...

5. chuck

chuck Founding Member

Hub - that was my thought also . .

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I only expect to see him on defense in critical situations when we're in the nickle, dime, or dollar.

It's a lot to expect a player to play both ways and still have legs in the 4th quarter.

7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

If the 2 frosh wouldn't have gotten hurt. I think he would have played alot of D. Mainly b/c you weren't losing anything by moving him over.

8. LSUTiger

LSUTiger Founding Member

Actually, during the rotory club meeting that Saban spoke at a few weeks ago, he said if Clayton played defense it would be in the regular base (4-3) defense.

He also said the reason for this is because the base defense was actually used less than nickel and dime over the last two years because of playing all these passing teams in the SEC. I think this would obiviously help from overusing him on defense if he only played in this situation.

Assuming nothing has changed, and I don't think it has, I expect to see him playing in the base defense.

Yeah, two receivers that could have contributed won't be able to, however he wasn't necessarily going to get that many defensive snaps anyway being in the base defense. (see above)

If Brazell has improved as some reports say, combined with Green and Henderson, and one freshman steps up(I'm hearing good things about Bowe) thats four WR.

How often do we go 4 and 5 wide? Only a few times a game besides obvious passing downs in which Clayton would be in regardless of whether he is on D or not. My point is, IF we have 4 dependable WRs then I think we can afford to use Clayton some on defense and a little less on offense.

9. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Take my word for it Brazell has not improved. Can't catch a cold. And Clayton will play some D, maybe even significant.

10. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

I don't think that Clayton will get very much time on Defense. I suspect that we will be in the base defense more, but I think that the base defense will have Adrian Mayes as a "LB" (and I put that in quotes for a reason). They may use his size, speed, coverage skills, and toughness in the "base defense" almost like the dreaded "drop linebacker" from the Dinardo era. (Man, I am using as many "quotes" as TNT). Any one else suspect something tricky like this is in the works?