Michelin Man with lifetime record of 12-24 record wanted for "coveted" Notre Dame Job

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Dec 7, 2004.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Michelin Man with lifetime record of 12-24 wanted for "coveted" Notre Dame Job

guess i can't edit my subject.

Mangino receives Notre Dame interest

By JASON KING

The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE — Kansas' Mark Mangino confirmed Monday that people connected with Notre Dame have left messages with his attorney regarding the school's head coaching job.

Mangino said he has not responded to any of the calls, which he said he assumed were from boosters, and it's doubtful he would be interested in the position.

“Probably not,” Mangino said. “I'm bent on making Kansas a top-25 program. That's all I'm concerned about. I don't deal with hypothetical issues. I deal with issues as they come across my desk.

“I haven't talked to anyone at Notre Dame in an official capacity about the job there.”

Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins said no one from Notre Dame had contacted him seeking permission to speak with Mangino. Perkins did, however, have a conversation Monday with Fighting Irish athletic director Kevin White in New York, the site of tonight's National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame dinner.

“Kevin and I talked, and Mark's name never came up once,” Perkins said. “I've known Kevin a long time. If he were going to go after Mark, he would've told me. I haven't heard anything about it. If Mark has talked to anyone there, he hasn't told me.”

Attempts to reach White on Monday were unsuccessful.

According to the South Bend Tribune, Mangino is among a handful of coaches being considered to replace Tyrone Willingham, who was fired last week after just three seasons. Other candidates, the paper says, are Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez, Northwestern's Randy Walker and Boise State's Dan Hawkins.

A former Oklahoma assistant, Mangino is just 12-24 during his three seasons at KU. But it's clear he has the Jayhawks' once-dormant program heading in the right direction. In 2003, Kansas achieved its first bowl berth since 1995.

His team went 4-7 this season, but six of those losses were by fewer than 10 points. Kansas also defeated both of its archrivals — Missouri and Kansas State — for the first time since 1983 and should be a legitimate contender for next year's Big 12 North title.

Mangino said he didn't plan to return any of the voicemail messages left with his attorney.

“He (his attorney) didn't call them back, and neither did I, because they weren't from official representatives of Notre Dame,” Mangino said. “I can't control people that call my phone or anyone else's phone, and I can't control rumors. Right now, I'm busy recruiting.”

Mangino, who was in Kansas City visiting a prospect Monday, said that he's committed to making Kansas a perennial contender in the Big 12 and that bolting for another school is not on his agenda.

“I'm not entertaining any kind of thoughts like that at this point in time,” Mangino said. “My family and I love living in Lawrence, and I'm focused on making Kansas a top-25 program. That's all I'm concerned with right now.”

2. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I don't know much about him, but I think Kansas has improved since hes been there. ND should have made sure they had UM locked up before that acted.

3. philter

philter Founding Member

Sounds like he is leaving the door wide open, but saying what he is obliged to say to keep the KU fans on his side.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

lmaoooo of course he made Kansas better but that's the whole point. He's not even jumping at the so called coveted ND job. they can't give this pos away.

5. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Wow, its getting pretty sad up in South Bend...I love it!!!!

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well as big as this man is, the door would have to be left WIDE OPEN.