Michigan set to defend football program

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LSUDad, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

lol.... he's the running back's coach... Im thinking they were discussing the pistol offense....

"Son, go put that gun in your car. Why do you think we give you cars?"

2. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Harbaugh did blast the program when Carr left... now RichRod's "errors" make Harbaugh look like a seer to some.

3. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Is there a possibility this is Rich Rod's last year? And if so (and this is out of pure curiosity, not wanting to ruffle feathers) what are the odds they come calling for Miles?

edit: just read hawks second post.

4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Harbaugh might be a tough one to get. I think Kirk would be a tougher one. In this day and time, coaches have their reasons, money many time, not being one of the reasons.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Fred Jackson - BR native.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

The skinny on Rich Rod:

• After Rodriguez was named Michigan's coach on Dec. 17, 2007, West Virginia sued him for $4 million for breaching his contract there. The sides eventually settled, with Michigan agreeing to pay $2.5 million and Rodriguez paying $1.5 million.

• The Wolverines went 3-9 in Rodriguez's first season in 2008, the worst record in school history. Michigan didn't play in a bowl game, ending the school's 33-year streak of playing in the postseason, the longest such streak in college football at the time.

• Michigan finished the 2009 season with a 5-7 record, including a 1-7 mark against Big Ten foes. After starting the season with a 4-0 record, the Wolverines lost seven of their last eight games. Michigan suffered 25-point defeats in consecutive weeks, losing 35-10 to Penn State at home and 38-13 at Illinois.

• Under Rodriguez, the Wolverines are 0-2 against rival Ohio State, losing 42-7 in 2008 and 21-10 in '09. Rodriguez has a 1-5 record against Michigan's three biggest rivals: Michigan State, Notre Dame and Ohio State.

• In August 2009, Rodriguez and his business partners were sued for $3.9 million for defaulting on a real-estate loan for a condominium development near Virginia Tech's Lane Stadium. Rodriguez's lawyers argued he was the victim of a Ponzi scheme.

• In May, Michigan announced it was self-imposing a two-year probation for alleged rules violations committed under Rodriguez's watch. The NCAA accused the Wolverines of five major rules violations, most of which accused Rodriguez and his staff of failing to comply with practice time requirements.

• Earlier this month, West Virginia announced it also has been accused of five major NCAA rules violations, which were allegedly committed from 2005 to '09. The alleged violations concerned practice time and the number of coaches providing instruction under Rodriguez and current coach Bill Stewart.

Michigan Wolverines coach Rich Rodriguez hopes to put struggles behind him - ESPN

Man that looks bad.

1 person likes this.
  7. Weisguy

Weisguy Veteran Member

I hate to defend Dick Rod and Michigan, but I think this is the year Michigan turns the corner. Once that happens, I think everybody forgets/forgives the NCAA violations because every major NCAA program does the same thing.

Michigan fans are upset because DRod is such a departure from their tradition, but that's what the program needed- it was too wedded to its past and run game in a evolving college game. Once DRod has recruited his players to fit his system, I expect Michigan to dominate the Big 10. The guy's been too good of a coach everywhere else for me to believe that he's suddenly forgotten how to coach now that he's in Michigan.

Michigan has struggled with Dick Rod as coach in the first two years, but that shouldn't have been a surprise to anybody- he needed a complete overhaul because he didn't have the right players for his system. Last season was the first one where he had the chance to really recruit, and so those recruits were just freshmen last season.

This fits DRod's coaching career where his teams struggle in the first year or two before turning it around and end up dominating their conference. DRod could be more conservative and win more games in the beginning by not completing overhauling the program he inherited. But, I believe his philosophy is that he'd rather lose in the beginning and win later.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

ok, lets say wvu get slapped for something rr did while there. and what about tenn? what if they get slapped for kittens shenanigans?

i understand punishing the school with loss of schollys, etc. it happened there, and even tho the offenders are no longer there, they did likely "benefit" from wrong doing.

however, at what point is the ncaa gonna have to look at coming down on the coaches that pulled these stunts, even if they have moved on? i dont mean hold their new school accountable with sanctions, but the coaches personally. with big fines, something.

it just seems that anymore you see coaches violating the rules to benefit their teams, make themselves look good, then moving on leaving the consequences in their wake. i mean look at calipari. it just seems that the current way of going about it isnt a deterrent for the real scum bags.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Okie, nice post.

But you forgot to mention Pete Carroll and USC/Reggie Bush....oh yea I forgot...how can Carroll be blamed for something he knew absolutely nothing about.

my bad...never mind. :rolleye33:

10. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

True. But what about the AD? Shouldn't he share a little of penalties as well? He's ultimately responsible for any actions in the athletic department. He shoulda been checkin in on things. Maybe not day to day, but having some sort of control of things. I'll concede that he shouldn't have ALL of the blame, but he could tote some of the load for hiring a sawed off turd cutter.