Mike Leach Suspended (Now Fired) By TTU

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Deceks7, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Quick question.

In the 36 minute ESPN interview with Leach, Leach quotes a statement from a physician that Leach claims was the doctor that originally diagnosed the mild concussion.

Is the team doctor who gave the statement that the university released the same physician that Leach was referring to? The university released the statement from the team doctor to refute some of the claims Leach made in that interview.

I'm thinking they might be 2 different people and the university released statements from 2 people that are paid employees of the university.

2. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

according to the note on that video, the video was taken in April. That has nothing to do with the current situation except to show that James had been called out for being lazy "superstar" in the past.

wait so you are saying the video james took is not in the building that Leach sent him to?

You have both the team trainer and team doctor say this;

Please don't think that i am an James backer, I am not. I hate the privileged act by "superstar" players. (one reason why i truly hate anything NBA.) I am also truly fine with loud combative style coaches, i grew up with them. I just believe that Leach used poor judgment in confining a player to a building. If he was dissatisfied with James and the concussion, throw him out of practice. Send him home. Kick him off the team.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

so does TT give Ruffin McNeil a shot?

edit: great little interview with him after the game.

4. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I think the fact that the statements from both the team doctor and the trainer should be taken with a grain of salt since they are both receive paychecks from the university as team employees and they very well could have made these statements with the possibility of losing their cherry jobs quite high.

I am not saying that the university directly coerced them into putting out false statements, just that their objectivity may be skewed to preserving being able to put food on their family's table.

5. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

"according to the note on that video, the video was taken in April. That has nothing to do with the current situation except to show that James had been called out for being lazy "superstar" in the past.

The James certainly try to pass it as timely when it first came out. People found time stamps...

Video: Adam James locked in closet | wfaa.com | College Sports

This video link was given to WFAA.com by representatives of the James familiy. We have found that it is Adam James in a electrical closet, but we do not know if it was during a practice.
    According to the Youtube statement:
    This video was taken by Adam James, a player on the Texas Tech Red Raider football team on Saturday, December 19th, after being confined by Coach Mike Leach in an electrical closet off the Press Room at Jones AT&T Stadium. James was suffering from a concussion received during an earlier scrimmage game. James was ordered to stand in the darkness until released several hours later. James momentarily turned on a light to record his surroundings with his cell phone.

wait so you are saying the video james took is not in the building that Leach sent him to?

Building yes, room, No. But they sure were selling the electrical closet story:
    Texas Tech football trainer contradicts Adam James' story | Newsstand
    A source told ESPN's Joe Schad that Leach called a trainer and directed him to move James "to the darkest place, to clean out the equipment and to make sure that he could not sit or lean. He was confined for three hours."
    According to the source, Leach told the trainer, two days later, to "put [James] in the darkest, tightest spot. It was in an electrical closet, again, with a guard posted outside."

Texas Tech trainer didn't agree with Adam James' treatment - NCAA Football - SI.com

Pincock said he "noticed an electrical closet in that room, and walked inside." Pincock said, according to the affidavit, that he "commented on the noise in that room" and told James not to go inside.

Quote:
    The doc still hasn't said this put James in jeopardy If standing would put him in harms way he should have given him bed rest.
    You have both the team trainer and team doctor say this;
    Quote:
    On Dec. 21, Pincock spoke with Tech officials, telling them that he did not agree with that "form of treatment for anyone" and that Leach "wanted James to be uncomfortable."
    In an interview a day later, team physician Dr. Michael Phy told university officials that James "may not have been harmed" but he "considered this practice inappropriate."

The misdirection of all of this is that he was punished for a concussion. He was punished for trying to show up the coaches and was sent to a room where as the physician said,"he may not have been harmed, but...." The use of the word treatment associated with the medical condition is purposeful. It evokes a picture that all this has to deal with being punished for a concussion.

When Pincock said:

Trainer disagreed with Leach's treatment of player | College Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

“(Leach) wanted James to be uncomfortable,” Pincock said. “I do not agree with this form of treatment for anyone, and I discussed this with James.”
    Two days later, the football team moved its practice to the main stadium field, and it was suggested James be placed in a media interview room. Pincock described the room as “very dark and cold.”
    “I am not aware of any other player at Texas Tech University ever being placed in a darkened shed or room similar to James,” Pincock said in the affidavit. “Other players who have sustained concussions in the past were sometimes placed in the physician’s examination room with the lights dimmed, or in the weight room or athletic training room.”

It all comes back to saying Adam was punished for the concussion. Ask which other Tech players with concussions showed up at practice that were purposefully in conflict with the team rules. Adam was punished for being a jerk in a manner that took his concussion into consideration far more than he wanted. If he hadn't put himself above the team he would have been treated like any other player, but he did not want to be treated like the others, he wanted to be treated like Adam James.

ESPN: "on the 31, Mike Leach told us that he told a trainer to put Adam James some place that is dark.... but here's what this new affidavit says!"

Affidavit: "Leach told me to put Adam James near the field in some place that is dark..."

6. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

the video you embedded in your earlier post of mike leach yelling at adam james was from april.

7. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I was wondering why you said April:) That video was just put out because it wasn't the first time James pissed off a coach. I got a kick out of all the testimonials from his HS coaches about what a hard worker he was. There is some debate when Adam made the video of the closet. Some folk claim to have found tags that show it was made later.

One thing that bugs me is that he was healthy enough to attend practice and stand outside with glasses on, but not in a room because he was separated from his buds he wanted to jack around with. If he had shown up dressed out like the other injured folk he wouldn't have drawn attention to himself.

I still do not know how much "safer" the training room would have been for him. He would have been monitored in both locations. One location had a stigma attached to it. That is the only difference.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Players like that are POISON for a team. No one individual should be above the team, and i really hope that Texas Tech falls into the college football abyss after this garbage. Just watching Craig James talk about how bad his little son had it, it just breaks my heart. :dis: