Mike V retirement

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu99, Feb 8, 2002.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Anyone know about Mike's retirement from his duties at LSU? Someone told me that he MUST retire at 13 yrs old and he is now 12. I'm not sure if this is correct but I don't see why he can't just grow old in the place that he has spent his entire life. He seems to be especially content in front of the people that come to admire him. I love how he struts back and forth and seems to know when there's a big game to play.

Also, the same source informed me that LSU will not be granted another tiger until they build a more suitable environment for a tiger to live in. I've heard the current fundraising isn't going well but I'm sure it'll pick up once everyone realizes we don't have a tiger. He was the only witness to my proposal of marriage (to my wife, not him) and I've heard for many others also. He is the only one that I've seen grow up since he was a baby so it'll be sad to see him go. If he has to go, at least he went out as an SEC and Sugar Bowl Champ.

2. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

I haven't heard that. I know that they're having a fundraising drive to build him a new facility which I think is long overdue.

I hope everyone can donate something. Mike is a beautiful animal and a great asset to the university. With as much land that LSU has to work with, he really deserves a home that allows him to get enough excersise that he doesn't have to constantly pace.

3. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I remember when I was at LSU from '88-'93 that we retired Mike IV and got Mike V as an adolescent tiger.

I don't see why it should be so difficult to add on to his current cage. It can't be that expensive - it's a cage, not a computer center. It's not that complex. It's concrete and steel. You could just add on to the existing cage. Maybe enlarge his air-conditioned area.

I mean it's not rocket science people! I'd bet that if LSU could raise enough $$$ for the materials there would be plenty of volunteers to do the physical work. With LSU grads in Engineering, Drafting, Construction, etc., I'm sure we could build a great one at a low cost.

Or do we have to spend a fortune in red tape with studies and public bids? Do we have to spend a million bucks in order to select a team to build a ten thousand dollar cage?

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Ive heard the same thing, but I couldnt find any evidence of it in a quick internet search. If he is required to retire at 13, it would be the first time. This is an interesting piece on the Mike lineage, and they all gave more than 13 years, with the execption of Mike II who died of pneumonia after only 1 year.

http://www.nicksaban.net/gameday/mike.html

5. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

i proposed in front of Mike V too, LSU99. 4/6/02, clear your calendar.

6. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Congratulations TigerStagg,

I do know that Mike's new facility will be a "natural habitat" facility. I think (hopefully) it will be an open-air type facility like some you see at the zoo with some grass, boulders, trees & shade and a swimming area.

I'm not sure but I think LSU is the only university with a live Bengal Tiger. There's plenty of area from where he is now and in between the PM Center to build him a nice large open-air home.

Here's a link to a form where you can donate funds.
    Help build Mike a new home...