Mike Williams practices with USC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mesquite tiger, Aug 5, 2004.

1. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

Thats my question, can any college player train with the pro's, and still be eligible for college ball??

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

1) Earlier reports stated that Williams was emphatically told by the NFL that, should he come out, the Clarett lower-court ruling was subject to being overturned and, if it happened, he'd be out of luck.

Comments made later in the year by his agent suggest otherwise, and I've not seen anyone refute the agent's comments, so I'll give Williams the benefit of the doubt that he really did not know how likely Clarett's case was going to be shot down in appeals.

2) He had to pay back all the $$ he gave to the agent, which he did (how? A number of ways, I'm sure, like he "borrowed" the money from a relative who, I'm sure, was "loaned" the money by someone who just happens to know the agent. Laundered money, in other words). Why would the agent do this? Simple: he'll get that back and then some next year when Williams is possibly the first player taken in the 2005 draft.

3) All that being said, his not being reinstated is not without precedent. Remember how basketball players who lept into the draft from high school used to be totally out of luck if they went undrafted? Sure, the NCAA has changed it's approach to this situation, but for years kids were just screwed in that situation.

Not saying it's "right", but there is precedent there with the NCAA for it to not care a damn about what happens to Williams, especially since he's a slam dunk to get his millions next season anyways.

As for me, I could give a damn if he comes back. If LSU should be so fortunate as to get to the Orange Bowl and see those clowns on the other sideline, I for one want ZERO excuses out of the USC side going into that game.

Bring 'em on. :angryfire

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Seems we have a lot of conflicting stories on here. But the NFL's director of operations did tell Williams that the NFL was going to appeal the decision. The outlets all across America reported that the NFL was going to appeal the decision and many lawyers said they thought the NFL would win on appeal.
    So to say he didn't know the decision could be reversed is simply not true. He could have picked his agent and started preparations w/o taking any money. The agent is his uncle or something so I am sure he didn't have to sign anything with him as he still would have represented him.

He supposedly didn't take much money from his agent, he did take a lot of the endorsement money that the players associaiotn gives out for signing cards and the use of his name, etc. He didn't spend all of the at money and that is why he was able to give it back, his parents only had to come up with the small amount that he spent, and they appear to be somewhat well off.

Did he gain a competitive advantage by working with that group, yes he did IMO but I really don't think the NCAA is even going to look at that. It's a very small part of the equation.

It will be setting a precedent of some sort, i'm just not sure what that is as this is a very unique situation. I was against the NCAA letting him back in but I can see how it is a much harder decision that meets the eye.

Now, the NCAA has said they will probably not rule on his case unitl Aug. 10 or later. That also happens to be the day his summer class schedule ends. I think they have already made up their minds that if he went to class to make up for the classes he had failed and the ones he had imcompletes in that they would let him back in.

4. ramah

ramah Founding Member

USC cannot get away with this one

The NCAA will never allow it ... it would show a double standard and open their arses wide up for litigation from others who have been ....

~D~E~N~I~E~D~ by the same committee

USC will not get Williams this year ... money in the bank

5. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Exactly, caj...his in ability to get proper advice on the situation is HIS fault and no one elses. He got screwed by his agent but guess what? That happens in every draft in every sport.

6. Carface

Carface What the...?

You mean...

The NCAA will come down with a decision for ONCE?

:shock:

SHOCKING!

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

and barrington edwards is on the team?

8. 3amigosanddad

3amigosanddad Freshman

I disagree also with this statement. The NCAA rules at the time and they have been the same for a long time, is that once you declare for the draft and hire an agent you are ineligible, period, regardless of what the NFL says or does. The rules have not changed, So to say he broke no rules is false, he did, he hired an agent (remember Mark Roman). He should not be allowed back in, he should live with his decision. :champs:

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Anybody remember someone by the name of Marquise Hill? Same situation. Bad advise from an agent. NCAA told him too bad, so sad.

Mike Williams should be no different.