Mike's Cage

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by j0nathanr0y, Jul 24, 2003.

1. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

I have heard from a few sources that the funds for Mike The Tigers Cage have been met. Does anyone know what the hold up is for building it?

Mike The Tiger's Cage

2. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

That's a good question. I was at his current cage on July 3rd and expected to see something happening. He really deserves that nicer habitat. :geaux:

3. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

"Tradition dictates that for every growl elicited by Mike before a football game, the Tigers will score a touchdown that night. For many years, Mike was prompted to roar by pounding on the cage. Objections of cruel punishment brought about the use of recorded growls to play to the crowd before the games. That practice was discontinued shortly afterward, and, today, Mike participates in the pre-game tradition without provocation."

Whenever I see Mike roar before the game, it is because Mike the mascot runs up to the cage and Mike the Tiger roars at him. I guess the animal rights people wouldn't like that either.

4. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

What the hell does that have to do with his new cage facility?

5. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

I don't know if this is a tall one or what, but I heard that in the 70's Mike's trainers would throw a live chicken in the cage and students could watch the hunt. Does anybody know what I'm talking about or does it sound fabricated? This guy swore up and down he wasn't lying to me. How awesome would it be to see that site?!

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Just something that I thought was funny in the article linked. I'm glad you took the time to add something to the cage discussion as well.

7. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

It was Mike III who ate the live chickens. That Mike died in (I think) 1975. He was also the one who the cheerleaders would get to roar by pounding on his cage. A tragic life, actually. He lived his life in the old cage, which was tiny, and it was asserted after he died that aside from being in his traveling cage his feet never touched anything but concrete. The present enclosure is a massive improvement on Mike III's cage, but it is indeed time to get new construction started.