Miles "allegedly" turned down more money from UM to stay at LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 16, 2011.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I know Bhelm posted the snippet from the article in the other thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread.

Miles turned down more money to stay at LSU | CollegeFootballTalk

“He was offered more than 4 million to become the Michigan coach,” LSU Board of Supervisors member Stanley Jacobs told the Shreveport Times. “When he said no, they came back and offered him more. And he said no again. …

“He never leveraged his offer from Michigan for more money from LSU. This guy is the real deal. He really is. He was offered more money. I was told in the $4.25 million range and turned it down. Then they came back and offered more, and he turned it down again.”

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Oh boy, here come the nut-huggas.

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

That's a nice, feel-good story--especially for a program that had their previous head coach say, "Not going" over and over only to leave in the middle of the night. But truthfully, I don't buy it.

4.25 mil is nice and about $500 K more than what he makes here... but he would have owed LSU $1.5 mil for going to Michigan in the first place per his contract. So that "more money" simply meant he would make the same money for the first 3 years while in Ann Arbor.

Also, of COURSE someone with LSU ties will say, "Miles was offered more money but turned it down". No one wants a coach that no one else wants and in saying such things, it gets those that wanted him gone but all of a sudden were worried when he interviewed to rethink their stance about him.

4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

An old Beatles tune comes to mind.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMwZsFKIXa8]YouTube - The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love (Live)[/ame]

5. islstl

Well for anyone who believes they really offered 4.25 million would also have to believe that Michigan was footing the bill on the buyout as well. So no way it would have gone down like that.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Les is smart. If he leveraged an immediate pay raise from LSU when they are laying off professors and shutting down departments, it would be very bad campus politics. But a 7-year contract with incentives will have him over $4 million soon anyway.

7. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

:milesmic:4 million a year is great money but let's think about it. Michigan has a history of letting coaches go after 3 years. Miles could get that program to 8-4 or maybe 9-3 in three years. Then Michigan let's him go. This is only speculation but it's possible. Miles loses to Ohio state all three years and they cut him. He made 4 million for three years and the real power is with carr and the boosters. He made 12 million and forced out. Or he stays at lsu for 3.75 million for seven years. The buy out on his contract is so high that lsu can't afford to cut him. 3.75 x seven years=26.25 million garanteed. Miles made the for sure choice instead of taking the higher paying high risk job. Smart decision. Now for the nutt hugging. He knows he has built a dynasty here and he now owns lsu football. He will succede here and build damn strong teams and he knows it. I am glad he stayed. There will be those 8-4 seasons but you can bet there will be way more 10+ win seasons and miles will always make it exciting. To everyone who wishes he would have left get over it because the hat will be here for a long long time.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

only miles and brandon know really what transpired and brandon is gonna spin like a top, and clm will let him do so to save face.

however, even if not what the article says, i dont believe brandon flew all over the place just to pop in and say hello to miles. meechigan wanted clm, they didnt get him. the specifics are pure speculation and will be all over the place, given on what the rumor du jour is.

1 person likes this.
  9. islstl

I wholeheartedly agree.

10. islstl

Michigan has no such history.

Rodriguez is the first.

Moeller was there for only 5 years back in the early 90s, but he resigned after a drunken incident that shamed the school.