Miles asks for waivers for new hires

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by boblinfoto, Dec 15, 2009.

1. boblinfoto

boblinfoto Ohio LSU fan/artist

From Tiger Rag:

LSU coach Les Miles on Monday said he was waiting on waivers from the NCAA to allow newly hired assistant coaches Frank Wilson and Billy Gonzales to work with the Tigers during their bowl preparations.

Gonzales is coming from Florida and Urban Myers' staff.

2. rustytiger

rustytiger Freshman

I love the fact we raided the Gators camp , it has to help us getting better footing in Florida for some of all that talent.

1 person likes this.
  3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Can't remember where I read it, but in an interview about Gonzales and Wilson, Miles was hoping to be able to have them cleared for the bowl game, and wasn't sure what role Porter would play, if any. The part about Porter is what I found interesting, since in another interview he has stated that Porter, Stud, and Crowton would all be coaching for the game, and that there wouldn't be any more coaching changes before the bowl game. Has anyone heard this, or did I just imagine that I read it? Obvious coach speak, but the 2 comments seem to contradict each other, in regards to Porter.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Miles said he didn't expect anymore coaching changes this year and hoped that was the case.

As for Porter, Les is waiting for clarification on how he can make it work with one extra coach on staff for the bowl game. Porter is still in Memphis and not guaranteed to be a coach for the bowl game. If Miles decides to let Porter on the sidelines for the bowl then only one out of Gonzales and Wilson will be allowed to coach at practice and on sidelines as well. Can only have 9 coaches per NCAA rules.

5. LEGACY TIGER

That was what I thought would be the surface meaning. It's the part you bring up of "he didn't expect anymore coaching changes this year and hoped that was the case". This sounds a lot like coach speak to me.

6. bhelmLSU

Don't think it is coach speak. We would have had a leak by now if we were letting anyone go after the bowl and have some candidates talking plus all my sources are saying nothing else should happen unless Stud takes a job elsewhere but it looks like he has turned down the Memphis job twice now. Crowton and Stud are recruiting still and telling prospects they will be back next year too.

Robinson made the final 7 candidates for the ULM job as well and he did not get it.

7. LEGACY TIGER

I can only say hmmmm. Not sure I'm sold on nothing else happening, even though all is pretty quite.

8. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I dont see the NCAA granting waivers for the 9 coach rule. I think we need to cut ties with Porter so the new coaches are available now. if there is more to the Porter situation, like we agreed to retirement funding, then just deal with.

9. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

I don't understand why it should be an issue. If a head coach can take a dump on his team to leave it before a bowl game to go to another one that isn't even playing in one, and this practice is a common one that is tolerated if not out-right accepted by the NCAA, why is it a problem for assistant coaches? The impact of them leaving does not reasonate as much as when an HC leaves.

10. bhelmLSU

What have you heard to make you think otherwise?

Only way I see us getting a new OC is if Miles already has one waiting in the background but someone would have broken the silence on that one. Almost impossible to land a quality OC with a coaching staff already in place. And we better hope there is not plans to label Billy OC with no experience at the job to date. Miles is in no place to take risk like that at this time.

Miles has already said numerous times that Crowton and BG will work together in making the game plans.

Stud could be gone but I am leaning to not going to happen if he is turning jobs down especially OC ones paying more money.

Any other speculation is wishful thinking IMO.