Miles Doesn't Get Respect on a National Level

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerFan23, Sep 26, 2007.

1. khounba

khounba Founding Member

A mod merged them. :lol:

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Everyoine knows the real reasons so there is no reason to get worked up over it. The only reason you hear "Saban's Players, Shula's Players" is so they create the reaction you have.

It works both way with "Saban is a liar". Every coach does that before open jobs.

Don't think the media speaks for everyone else. I am at Alabama now and mostly everyone thinks Miles is a good coach. They just say otherwise to piss LSU fans off, thus looking for the aforementioned reaction. :thumb:

3. Androolio

Androolio Freshman

I would also like to point out that (in my opinion) that we are better off WITH Miles because he can get better Assistants. I think Saban pays assistants so much mainly because they don't want to work for him. He's just to damn hard on them. If Saban were here we would probably still have Jimbo and Muschamp.
    Both are good I know but as good as Crowton and Pelini. No.

1 person likes this.
  4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Respect comes with time and accomplishment. Giving out respect before it is due is short sighted. Miles is really coming into his own this season, and if he continues down the path we're on now, I think popular opinion around the country will change. I already see it swinging.

The first few seasons under Miles we had good records but our performances in big games were hit and miss.

When ranking coaches, Fulmer is the head of a major program but he doesn't get a ton of respect because the football Tennessee has been playing has been kinda blah. Richt has taken a hit because of their crap season last year and the less than stellar performance this year. In a way it may be fickle, but people judge coaches on their gut feelings. Instead of looking just at the numbers, they look at what they think those numbers mean. I don't think that is necessarily wrong.

I was thinking yesterday, in something barely related to this discussion, that Louisiana has something a lot of places don't. Louisiana's cajun culture plays a significant part in the culture of LSU football. Great tailgaiting (food and atmosphere) and a different point of view than anywhere else. Alabama kind of has a rabid football tradition, but most southern states only have the fact that they're southern going for them. We have a unique flavor. I think it helps. Florida and California have sunny weather, Louisiana has cajun culture, Texas is Texas, but most other states are more regional than state specific. Just a thought, anyway. It also helps that LSU is the school in Louisiana.

5. lsu-i-like

Miles has accomplished some good things while at LSU. It is impossible to say for sure if Saban would have done the same, but my feeling is that Miles is surpassing what Saban could have done. I'm not sure Miles could have done what Saban did (really putting LSU on the map after a long period of agony), but now that we're here, we might be better off with Miles. I believe people are really beginning to take notice all around the country. Miles has a chance this season to make himself known as one of the best coaches in the country. I think that speaks well of Miles and LSU. I really love LSU.

2 people like this.
  6. Cat Squirrel

Cat Squirrel Founding Member

I think Miles is better than anyone dared hoped, at least at maintaining a team. He seems to make really good personel decisions (Pelini and Crowton come to mind).

Who knows if/how he could/would have built a program like Saban did here?

I'm grateful to Saban for putting us on the map and I'm grateful that CLM is working hard to keep us there. Both are excellent coaches. Maybe we got lucky and the coaching stars aligned to each coach's strength for us??? I'll take it. :grin:

If CLM can win a MNC, everyone in the country will have to take him more seriously, but I think coaches take a credibility hit if they're in a poor situation.

Look at Spurrier...I don't know anyone who would say the OBC is a poor coach, but he's not enjoying the same easy recruiting, etc that he did at Florida. He made Fla and Fla made him, but he's not in what I would call a recruiting hotbed over in Columbia.

Okie State didn't do CLM any favors either....let's face it, OSU isn't what you think of when you consider "dominant program".

I'm glad others, like Skip, have the wisdom to separate the wheat from the chaffe.

1 person likes this.
  7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i was at the dr yesterday, wearing an lsu shirt, and my dr. is an ou fan/grad. we started talking and he was talking about how lucky lsu was to get miles. that osu let a real gem slip away. an OU fan said that. i think he was trying to see just how strong my heart was. :hihi:

i couldn't agree with you more on the double standard. i was talking to a friend about this the other day. its hypocritical to not give miles credit for his wins, but then turn around and call satan a god for his. :angryfire

1 person likes this.
  8. lsu-i-like

I wonder if your doctor was saying that a few years back...

I think you guys get too upset about Miles getting criticized for winning with Saban's players and Saban getting credit for winning with Shula's players. Saban proved that he can turn a program around at LSU. When Miles came to LSU, LSU was a national player. When Saban came to LSU, LSU was mediocre. Of course the media is going to give him the benefit of the doubt at Alabama. Saban earned it. On the other hand, Miles made Oklahoma St into a scrappy team, but the job he did there doesn't necessarily translate to the big stage that LSU has the opportunity to perform on. We got some ugly wins early in Miles' tenure and until this year we only showed flashes of greatness.

It takes a special person to perform at the top level, and I don't think it was too strange for most folks to hold off judgment on Miles before this season. I will go out on a limb and say that our coaching staff is something special, but on the other hand, the season is still early. Miles and company have continued Saban's success and improved upon it, but there are going to be plenty of teams waiting to knock us off the horse.

Whatever happens against Tulane, the Florida game is going to be a clash of titans. The last time we were in a game that big was against Oklahoma. Hopefully we can, and we should, dispatch of Tulane easy enough that Flynn gets plenty of time to rest. We can't play like we did against S Carolina and beat Florida.