Miles interviewed Saints assistant Thursday for DC position

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Jan 15, 2005.

1. max

max Founding Member

The guy has been a secondary coach at the NFL and college level. He would seem like a good choice to me. I would certainly prefer him to Clay, and this shows Miles is interviewing people other than Edwards and Miles for DC, which is a good sign.

Saints assistant interviews at LSU
    Haslett: Brown would be a great addition to the staff
    Saturday, January 15, 2005
    By Jeff Duncan
    Staff writer
    Saints cornerbacks coach Greg Brown interviewed for the defensive coordinator position at LSU on Thursday, Saints coach Jim Haslett said Friday.

New Tigers coach Les Miles contacted Saints officials Thursday to seek permission to interview Brown, Haslett said.

Haslett said he was not aware of any previous connection between Brown and Miles, but he gave Miles a full endorsement of Brown's coaching abilities.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I am just gonna use the ABC rule on this.

ABC = Anybody But Clay.

Keep it simple, kids....learn your ABCs.

3. max

max Founding Member

I am guessing that they have mutual fans on McCartney's staff, because they both coached on it at different times.

4. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Greg Brown bio

Greg Brown
    Secondary/Cornerbacks

Greg Brown, a 14-year NFL coaching veteran, enters his third season with the Saints and his second as secondary/cornerbacks coach. He was promoted to his current spot after spending 2002 as defensive assistant/quality control, and has since been responsible for tutoring the club's cornerbacks. He coordinates the efforts of all the defensive backs with secondary coach Joe Baker.

Despite injuries at the position in 2003, Brown led a unit that was among the most consistent areas of the defense.
    Fred Thomas posted a career-high 99 tackles and paced the team with 21 passes defensed and four interceptions, while young players like Fakhir Brown and Keyuo Craver also emerged as contributors. Veteran Ashley Ambrose had a solid season with three interceptions, a 73-yard touchdown return and 51 stops. The coverage skills of the cornerbacks were a big factor in New Orleans ranking eighth in the NFL vs. the pass by allowing only 187.1 yards per contest.

But developing top-notch secondary play has been Brown's specialty throughout his coaching career, and he brings a wealth of experience in working with NFL defensive backs. Before coming to New Orleans, Brown spent the previous two years coaching the secondary of the Atlanta Falcons. Before that stint with the Falcons, Brown served as the defensive backs coach for the San Francisco 49ers in 1999, with S Lance Schulters earning Pro Bowl honors that season.

Brown spent 1997-98 as the secondary coach of the Tennessee Oilers. In 1997, the Oilers had one of the league's top safety tandems, with Blaine Bishop being voted to the Pro Bowl and Marcus Robertson earning All-Pro honors.

From 1995-96, Brown served as secondary coach at San Diego. Under his guidance, the Chargers finished with top-five rankings both years in fewest yards allowed per completion, and Brown tutored new starter S Rodney Harrison, who has emerged as one of the league's best safeties. In 1994, he had his first stint with Atlanta as defensive backs coach and the Falcons finished second in the NFL with 23 interceptions.

Brown's NFL coaching career began in 1984, when he was hired as a defensive quality control assistant at Tampa Bay. Brown assisted on the offensive side in 1985 and served as tight ends coach in 1986.

Brown served on three college coaching staffs as the secondary coach: Wyoming (1987-88), Purdue (1989-90) and Colorado (1991-93). Brown coached a pair of Jim Thorpe Award Winners in Deon Figures and Chris Hudson at Colorado, and the Buffaloes led the nation in pass defense in 1992.

Browns coaching career began as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Texas-El Paso in 1980. His initial pro assignment was as the defensive quality control coach for the Denver Gold of the USFL in 1983, and he was promoted to defensive backs coach in 1984.

A native of Denver, Colo., Brown lettered twice as a defensive back at UTEP and graduated with a degree in history and physical education in 1980.

Brown and his wife, Stacie, have two daughters, Hannah and Grace.

5. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

It sure is smart of Miles to want to hire someone who is on staff of the worst ranked defense in the league. Pure genius.

6. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

Yeah, but I really like what this says. Miles is commited to keeping an NFL style defense at LSU.

7. BigJ31

BigJ31 Founding Member

Actually the Saints DBs played pretty damn good this season.

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I hear ya. :hihi: ...but seriously, the Saints had some pretty darn good coaches on the defensive side of the ball.......ugh.....albeit it was a couple of years ago. :)