Miles praises Michael Ford, and apologizes for.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 29, 2010.

1. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

Can someone explain wedge blocking and/or what the changes to taunting/celebrating are? Did they do away with the penalty for celebration a la the Georgia game?

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

If you had to list college head coaches in terms of character and integrity, you would have to list Les Miles #1.

As opposed to Urban Meyer who might be 115th.

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Oh no, much worse. They made taunting a live ball foul, meaning, if a ref says you were taunting on your way to the endzone, points come off the board. Before, it was a penalty on the XP or kickoff.

EDIT - Wedge blocking is when the kickoff receiving team sets up blockers shoulder to shoulder to create a wall of blockers for the returner. It caused a lot of injuries from players hurling their bodies into the blockers to break up the wall.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Quite petty

5. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

It is. My biggest problem with it is the inherent subjectivity. I don't think there is any place for taunting, but what happens when a player points up at the sky before he crosses the goal line, and some power tripping official decides to make an example of him and calls it taunting? BS if you ask me. It puts way too much power into the officials hands.

6. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

I'm fine with taunting, but the rule is inherently flawed and open to interpretation. On the other hand, the alternative is to specifically define taunting, and acts that will be considered as taunting. I say either have taunting, or list what is and what is not taunting. After last year, I don't have much confidence in the official's interpretation

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Bingo, too much power for officials is not a good thing.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

This new rule WILL be abused by SEC officials next season at least once in a crucial game. 100% probability. Count on it.

9. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

I'm in, enough of this taunting and poor sportsmanship. I figure this outlandish stuff that goes on before the end zone will get called at least a dozen times.

I also predict Bama will get a holding penalty sometime this year. I could be wrong.:huh:

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Hmmmm, Tusktimes a Bama fan is in favor of this rule.......... I wonder why??? :huh: