Miles recruiting this year

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MALONE121212, Feb 3, 2005.

1. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

I was and still am a huge Saban fan, but I think (or rather speculate) that Miles being an offensive minded coach as well as the reported plan to let Jimbo open up the offense a bit greatly affected RP's decision to goto LSU! . I'm not sure that Saban would have landed him. That and coming into a "new" offensive scheme would give him a leg up on learning the play book and competing for the start.

That's my theory anyway.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah, I am not saying Miles had nothing to do with RP signing, but to conclude Miles did a great job in recruiting this year is groundless.

Now had Miles brought in a few recruits that we had no chance at before he came in, that would have opened up my eyes. But he didn't, so we have to wait until next year to give him a full year of recruiting, which is only fair.

3. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

Yeah, true. But to hold together a top 20 class in the face of a coaching change is respectable to say the least. Most of the recruits, to the best of my knowledge had nothing but praise for him.

You do have a point though, next year will be the test.

Next question is whether the world will credit Coach Saban for next year's crystal trophy, being "his" players and all.

4. stamant79

stamant79 Founding Member

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe a couple of recruits stayed with LSU aftert Saban left because the new coach was Miles. I think I read were a couple of the guys had said that they really liked Miles when he recruited them while he was still at OSU but didnt want to play their because it was OSU.

I think we may have not had as good of a recruiting class if we hired someone else. I think miles did a good job to keep most of the recruits that had commited before saban left.

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I still no see how that indicated that RP was coming here all along. It flies in the face of everything else that I've read as well. Mostly that RP was still a heavy lean to Texas until just very recently.

I won't say that Miles did great with this class, he was limited in schollies and he already had almost a full boat when he took over the ship. But I do think he did a great job holding this class together, getting the 3 new commitments, etc. He cannot be judged yet, we wil have to wait until next LOI day for that.

7. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

If you look at the four new coaches in the SEC, Miles held his own pretty well.

1. Miles probably got the most accomplished in terms of future producers.

2. Orgeron probably did the next best job, although he took a few players with plenty of baggage.

3. Spurrier found bodies that he will definately sort out later.
    SOS recruited a guy that looks just like Danny W.

Kind of spooky: http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1194831

4. Meyer had his first taste of the brutal Florida recruiting climate.
    The Gator defensive needs were not met.

Welcome to the big time Urban!

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I was just reflecting on this first class of Miles'.

Perrilloux, RJ Jackson & Lafell have all supposedly been amazing in practice. Miles really got 3 playmakers here and I look forward to seeing them on the field next season & beyond!

PS: WARNING - this is not about this year's recruiting. This is an old thread about last year's recruiting.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Unfortunately, it appears he's caught on in his 2nd year to recruit.

10. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Meyer has a nice flashy class, but the only big time defensive prospect he could get was Spikes. They're going to be hurting in the defensive backfield in the next few years.