Miles: Top-ranked SEC team deserves BCS title shot

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 15, 2010.

1. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

Actually YES!!! I am a firm believer that MOST of the times a conference championship game is what puts whatever team over the top to GET IN a national title game.....so I believe if you LOOSE a conference championship game, that it should keep you out of a national championship game also.

What we are forgetting is the BCS is not meant to pit the two BEST teams in the nation together.....but it IS to put the two most accomplshed teams together according to their whole body of work.

2. khounba

khounba Founding Member

I agree that if a team LOSES their conference championship they should not be in the BCS title game. But the BCS does not rule out all teams that do not play for a conference championship. It would have to be the polls that keep a team like that out. Which is why Miles gave the quotes.

3. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

Your right....true true....and if they would vote them in.....I will pack up and cheer my behind off....I just do not think that would happen.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

See, I believe if you lose your championship game, then you shouldn't play for a championship unless there is a playoff system.

If you don't get to play in your conference championship, when you are clearly at least the 2nd best team in the conference, and that conference being the SEC. Then why not?

5. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

But what makes it right for every other conference in the country to NOT make that same claim.....I know and you know the sec is the best conference in the country, but it would still have every other conference in the country saying the same thing.

6. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

What's sad is that in 2010, "championships" are still decided this way.

Personally, I think it's a travesty that a team that doesn't win its conference gets to play for a BCS title. I thought it was in '03 and I think it is now, but LSU playing Boise in the BCS title game might be exactly what we might need to get a REAL championship system. Maybe I am being optimistic, but it is my hope and my belief that one day soon, we will be able to look down upon these BCS "titles" the way we now look down upon "championships" won before the BCS.

Think about it. LSU beating Boise would get people in an uproar because they didn't win the SEC. Boise winning would get people in an uproar because they are not from a blue blood conference. It's the perfect storm to possibly get rid of this corrupt system forever.

What do you think??

7. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

Yeah Maybe so......I would be in favor of it......the only problem.....MONEY......the bowls bring in sooooo much money ...they are the perverbial cash cows. It's hard to imagine they would get rid of that kind of money flow for a playoff system.

8. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Until all AQ conferences have a championship game, you cannot argue LSU doesn't have a right to be there.

What you believe to be fair, isn't what the system is now. LSU making it to the game could be a BCS killing scenario btw, especially if its over two unbeaten Non AQ teams. At least it might change the formula once again.

This is all fun to talk about, but its moot, we still have probably the second hardest schedule left behind Auburn to make it to 11-1. Ole Miss will come to play, they always do. And Arkansas still has a chance at a BCS bowl with a win, and we will need to have a Bama like game to beat them.

9. khounba

khounba Founding Member

So if Auburn loses to Alabama and USC you think there should be no chance for an 11-1 LSU to get in? Even if there is only one undefeated team left? Say LSU, Boise and Oregon are sitting with one loss in this scenario, who do you think should get in?

10. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Is LSU violating some unwritten rule here? Reality has the Tiger's as the highest one loss ranked team in the nation and a great chance to impress on national TV the next two weeks. Perfect. Two "fly" teams in front, that no poll has ever had the guts to vault ahead of a BCS team. An Auburn team facing two exceptional teams on the road, the FBI and the NCAA. Finally, the potential match up with the Pac 10 winner who has NO championship game. Perfect.