Minimum I.Q. required to Vote?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Frogleg, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

I think people should meet a minimum I.Q. in order to vote. Say, equal to or above the median. In general, we would have much better quality in our elected officials.

...with the right person at the helm, a monarchy is the best form of government.

2. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I don't know about having to have a minimum IQ but I've always thought you should have to be able to accurately say where the candidate/candidates you are voting for stand on a a plethora of issues. Too many people just go and if they see and R or a D next to the name vote for them. This has led to the same people always being in office and has led to the current corruption in Congress (not that it hasn't always been there to some degree).

I think the first state constitutions and the Articles of Confederation had it right when the legislature was voted for every year and no one could be in congress for more than 3 years in a 6 year period.
    Not being able to be a member of congress for more than 3 years and having to face election every year makes the constituents constantly look at candidates and choose the best person. However, this is all predicated on the fact that the voters are informed and aren't just voting for a person because they are from a party they like.

3. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

I say, put something in place so people can earn a right to vote. Don't just hand it to them. Not just voting, but many other things, should be earned.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I would say those dumb people with less IQ probably don't vote anyway.
    I have heard that Democrats let dead people and felons vote though!:lol: :rofl:
    Actually I think everyone should be able to vote no matter what.

What we do need is political reform in this country.
    This is where the problem lies...
    Senator Kennedy, Kerry and Byrd and those Republicans out there as well
    shouldn't be able to serve for 10, 20 or 50 years in the Congress or Senate.
    They should only be able to serve for 4 to 8 years, same as president.
    This is where the problem is, these congressman and senators having lifetime
    appointments to the congress and senate.

5. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Interesting idea. Max terms for senators and congressmen. State and US. This idea has merit.

6. MemphisLSUTiger

MemphisLSUTiger Founding Member

The problem is that there are still a lot of people with above average IQ that still vote strictly on party lines, regardless of the candidates position on the issues.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

IQ levels mean nothing. Plenty of high IQed people are idiots.

And besides, they say the average IQ of democrats is higher than republicans, so it wouldn't be a good idea for your party.

Salty, what are you talking about - earning the right to vote? Part of what made this country great was that everyone got the right to vote (eventually).

8. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Tongue in cheek Parso. Kinda like you saying Dems have higher IQ's. :hihi:

What do you think about term limits on all elected officials. I think it would keep people from gaining so much power and their positions from turning into, what amounts too, lifetime appointments.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I dunno. It's tough to say because a term limit could take away the incentive that elected officials have to listen to the demands of the people, and limited time may also increase the problem of politicians attempting to gain as much power as possible.

10. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

The right to vote is based on citizenship - not IQ. I remember in 50's and 60's when people had to take a test before they could vote. Of course, the test was weighted against "certain people" denying them the right to vote. The Supreme Court rightfully struck down such laws. The constitution says nothing about poll taxes, IQs or intelligence tests.