Minimum Wage increase passes the House

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Jul 31, 2006.

1. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

You're a joke you know that? I read an article on what the US calls poverty and it's a joke to call anyone living and working in this country below the poverty line.

People call poverty not having 4 TV's nowadays. If anyone is hungry at night it's because they want to be. There's free food, services to handle people down on their luck. But for you to come out and say that people in this country are in poverty because the minimum wage isn't high enough is a joke and if you don't realize what you're shoveling then it figures.

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/WalterEWilliams/2003/02/19/poverty_in_america

A married couple, both working full time at a minimum-wage job that pays $5.15 per hour, would earn an annual income of $20,600. Keep in mind that few adults earn wages as low as the minimum wage and those who do earn a higher wage after a few months on the job. If a married couple both working at the minimum wage had no children, they would not be poor; if they had two children, they wouldn't be living in the lap of luxury, but neither would they be below the poverty threshold.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

you do not see how a higher minimum wage makes employers hire illegals? illegals are cheap, for every illegal you do not have to pay minimum wage, that is more money in your pocket.

if you want to hire legal workers and none will work for minumom wage, you could pay more if you wanted, without the government forcing you. of course you favor big government making that decision for us, whether it is needed or not.

like i have said so many times before. leave decisions to individuals. let people solve their own problems, because manipulating them almost never has the effect intended.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If you have an opinion, lets hear it. We're here to discuss political subjects, after all. But insulting other members is simply childish. Stop boring us with this nonsense. I will not debate anyone who will not be civil.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Americans could work many jobs if the wages were higher. Do you not see that pricing jobs too low for Americans to work encourages this illegal practice of hiring foreigners?

Exactly. But since employers have the option to hire illegals, they have no incentive to do so. If the government would do their job, secure the borders, and prosecute illegal employers, then your plan might work and I would agree.

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Good, don't debate when you're dead wrong. I'll just keep telling you everytime you post BS to smell what you're shoveling.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

dude i think anyone with a small amount of econ backrground knows that raising the min wage is terrible or having one in general but many others disagree.

explain and debate with him as some dont always see it in that manner. red has a common argument even if you dont think its correct.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

no, i really do not understand that. i understand the opposite.

by not solving the correct problem (employing illegals) you are making the situation worse by raising the minimum wage because it increases the incentive to hire illegals, by making them even more reltively cheap than they were before.

so the more you raise the minimum wage, the more illegals are employed, the more they have an incentive to come here, the problem gets worse.

the mexicans are hanging in guadalajara now telling each other "hehe, the gringos, the make the laws so bossmens got to pay so mucho they cannot afford to pay other gringos. they need to hire us por trabajo, so nosotros needs to go swim the rio grande pronto!"

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I was making minimum wage when I was in college 10 years ago. It was tough to do then. By the time I paid half my tuition, bought my books, then put gas in my truck to get to school, I was lucky if I could buy one meal in the cafeteria per week. EVERYTHING has gone up in price since then. I wouldn't want to be a college student today in that situation. It would be mathematically impossible today to what I did on minimum wage.

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

There is absolutely no reason that supply and demand should apply to everything but labor. This is one of the dumbest discussions that the US has engaged in. Pandering, plain and simple.

There should be a separate discussion on the estate tax, by the way. Just about the only thing that makes me as sick as dropping THAT ONE tax is raising (actually, HAVING) a minimum wage. Filthy filthy politicians.