Minimum Wage increase passes the House

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Broke

Broke Founding Member

Your really not increasing inflation because that can only be measured by the Consumer Price Index which is a hypothetical basket of the same goods and services acquired and priced every month. Those goods and services prices aren't affected by an increase in wages unless they get passed on to the eventual consumer extremely quickly. Which I assume could potentially happen therefore making Parso (again) a frickin genius, light years ahead of his young age!

Note to self: Hire Parso as soon as he graduates as most 45 year olds I deal with know absolutely nothing about an economy. Also offer him $7.00 to start since this is a significant increase from what he is making now. I still think he will snowball me into six figures somehow, and make me like it.

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Or you could just hire anybody that took basic econ.

3. Broke

Broke Founding Member

I will preface this remark by letting you know that I am an economics instructor (mostly MBA classes). Really, Parso has a great working and theoretical knowlege of economics that most people don't have. I attribute it solely to TF GO BRETT! Most of my clients can't even spell economics.

I personally don't see this increase as good for the economy as some do. You drive up unemployment because the backbone of business (the small business owners) are unwilling to hire labor or additional labor because of the added expense. Let's face it, are we really going to get an extra $2 worth of work per hour out of them? Will they work harder? Its something called the distribution of wealth and this is what is at work here. Our wealth system is diamond shaped. Top tier is high wealth, middle is middle income, and bottom is poverty. Most of us fall in the middle income. In other countries (mostly developing) it is triangle shaped with Top of triangle wealthy, middle of triangle middle class and bottom poverty where poverty is the most encompassing. They are trying to redistribute some of this wealth to bulk up our middle class or move some from poverty to middle income. But playing devils advocate here moving money from the wealthy to the poverty won't greatly affect the wealthy but it will get the poverty folks spending money, thus stimulating an economy. You all remember the $400 checks per kid that we got right? That was enough to move us out of a recession. Nobody saved that money, they spent it.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i think anyone who doesnt have an agenda and hasnt sort of blindly accepted some rhetoric without really thinking opposes raising the minimum wage. and of course most people havent thought about it all.

who i really blame for being scoundrels is the politcians, because like cparso, they have been to college. they know damn well that the minimum wage does and why it is a bad idea. this brings me back to another quote by my personal lord, HL mencken:

"Demagogue: One who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

i think the primary difference between democrats and republicans is that republicans for the most part believe in their own stupid ideas.

i always tell my democrat friends that the two issues that their party is most obviously insincere about are affirmative action and the minimum wage.

of course red is wrong because of either:

1. he is playing devil's advocate and hasnt admitted it yet.

2. he is hopelessly brainwashed by democrats.

how could they not? our mcd cheeseburgers would immediately cost more if the burgerdummies all were immediately given a raise. what are you talking about "unless"?

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

And this is the mindset by the dems that drives my absolutely crazy. We want to punish successful people and make them pay for those who are not successful. The left complains about the wealthy getting tax cuts, yet they still pay damn near all the personal income taxes in this country. Raising the minimum wage is nothing more than a tax on businesses and consumers.

Stealing from the rich and giving it to the poor will never work. It certainly hasn't reduced the number of so-called poor people in this country.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Shhhhh. LSUcraig still doesn't get it. :wink:

I am not a democrat. SabanFan is a democrat. :grin:

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Technically, it wouldn't be inflation anyway because it would be a one time jump in prices, where as inflation is a gradual increase in prices, but I figured that was mostly just semantecs. It would definitely be immediately passed on to the consumer though. The main place we would see it would be the food service industry I think.

:lol: Good luck with that.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

This increase will directly hurt the middle class. The top won't feel it because they will increase prices & let consumers bare the burden, most of whom are the middle class. The lower class won't benefit very much from this as a whole because of 2 things: higher prices making their increased money less important, and also a decrease in demand for their positions, thus less jobs.

Also, consider what the people at the poverty line like to spend their excess money on. Drugs. So in effect, by increasing minimum wage, we are damaging the war on drugs by increasing the capable demand of them!

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

You gave up too easy...

10. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Oh wait, so your ridiculous post was trying to prove a point by holding a mirror to the other side's wrong point of view? Oh, how smart you are Red.

Well now that I know that's how you roll, I'll just take every post as sarcastic and that you really mean the opposite which means you always agree with me......cause I'm right.
    Cool.