Missing Tiger Rag

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ChuckM, Sep 3, 2006.

1. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

it's pretty sad really. Kids and younger people desperately want to be respected but they can't get a clue about the basic concept of how respect works. it's the golden rule.

It has bearing on your reputation. It can later have bearing on your livelyhood. They don't care or see it. I guess if it was Ole Miss I'd consider the source, but it's kind of hard to swallow being it's an US thing and not a Them.
    Luckily most of them will grow up and realize it was stupid, but sometimes the harm done in the here and now can have lasting effects.

Regardless of when they played it, or how many times, it's a shame they can't play it all the time or that students feel the need to scream obscenities in unison at all. Oh sure the ocassional "hell" or Dahm" is usual in any sporting event, but to organize a cheer that would, could, possibly tarnish the schools Rep, or wind up on TV reeks of immaturity. I always hoped LSU's students were a tad better, classier than that. but probably not. No wonder the other schools say what they say about us, maybe they are right. :dis:

2. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Believe me, when you live in enemy territory, every little thing gets blown up in your face when you show your colors. Every day I have to put up with Auburn and AMAB fans with their "We have more class than you LSU folks" attitudes. Having to defend things like this makes it all that much harder.

I was in Tiger Band when the song was banned the first time--it made me mad then and it makes me mad now. But I know the blame must be put on those who insist on being selfish in their obnoxiousness. We hear "Let's just shout it anyway." They don't even realize the people they are trying to insult are still in the locker room.

One day they will grow up. Maybe they will figure out that there are other people they have to deal with in the world. They go to other schools and they become your coworkers and friends. And guess what, they won't get that it's a "joke".

GEAUX TIGERS

3. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Originally I asked myself the following question:

"If the students started chanting some awful obscenity to the Alma Mater or the Pregame Salute, would the university be right to ban its use before our games?"

At first I said no, but when I think about, my answer must be yes.

More important than the university's past tradition is what the university represents now. The football games represent a large portion of the publicity that the university receives, and the LSU student section is largely allowed to act as rowdy as it pleases, which our PR image accordingly reflects. But there is such a thing as too much. The LSU leadership should not allow the students a means to tarnish LSU's image, past and present, to this degree.

I'm not saying the students should be banned from any sort of raucous behavior. I'm simply saying that there should be a limit to it. If the students want to desecrate a historic LSU song, then this song should be limited in its use. This puts the students collectively in direct control of what songs the university will and will not allow.

It is the students who are tainting the tradition of the song Tiger Rag by attaching profanity to it, not the University by revoking its use.

4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

The laws set a MINIMUM standard of social acceptability. You don't HAVE to go to the minimum level of acceptable behavior, just because you can.

A lot of people are offended by public vulgar language, including me. I use vulgar langauge at work, when driving, but not in mixed company. I only use it one to one, or in a small group that has demonstrated it is NOT OFFENSIVE to anyone in the group, usually by that person having used course language.

People need to be more respectful and considerate of others in public. That's good manners. It sounds like the band leaders don't want to be used by the students to further a crude image of LSU, and I support them in their efforts to create a classier image for the school.

The fact that people have been doing it for a long time doesn't make it right. Students find it fun to rebell, to do things society frowns on, but that are within the law, just because they can. I was a student and felt the same way once. And society has a right to respond and say they don't like it. OK, we can't throw them in jail, but we can stop playing their song. Students need to learn there are consequences to their actions, the world is not going to give them a pass all the time. And we can do better than the minimum legal standard of decorum.

5. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I don't think people are to easily offended these days. I do think that certain NEW things try to get passed thru or shoved down other peoples throats, and when someone is offended then the catch phrase about being to easily offended shows up.

If this had been going on for 20 plus years and then now as a result of trying to change the ruling come out. But since this was fairly new and no end in sight, again I back the rule. Would love to hear the tunes but in the way they were meant to be heard. And in a way that puts a positive light on LSU.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And so it was.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JSracing again."

8. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

JSracing and houtiger pretty much summed up any response I had. My only other comment is when you get older and have kids you will realize how much you would value the respect of others not to subject your children to this behavior. Is it OK for my kindergartner to scream "*******" at his teacher because we do not have the right to be subjected to this behavior? Would it be OK for my 11 yo son to strip naked and run out onto his Jr High Football field in front of everyone? Well it must be OK because 12000 20-something students scream "*******" or some goofball runs naked across Tiger Stadium. That is supposed to be supporting your team? Not in my universe. It has to do with respect...

Instead of getting defensive over the behavior why can't we take the high road, do the mature thing and say "I wouldn't do this because it is offensive and in bad taste".

9. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

too bad the actual band didn't have a say...i have many friends in the band and they were all in support of keeping Tiger Rag

10. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

everyone needs to realize that this is all part college sports...you think when i go to auburn, UT, FU, and Ark I wont hear profanity sent my way? "Not so fast my friend!"

If the student section wants to do our version of Tiger Rag, we will, and have done our version...We didnt need the band playing it at the ULL game. It probably made it easier to hear because the band WASN'T playing.

if people are so offended by this they need to call LSU/TAF and relocate their seats to the South Endzone/East Upper/West Upper.

Sure my rights end when your face begins, but its ludicrous to think you could actually stop the entire student section's chants from reaching your ear. It wont happen now, or ever.

Don't take your kids to LSU games and sit near the student section if you don't want them to hear profanity.