Monday Morning QB - Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by stk, Oct 22, 2007.

1. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Apparently the show 1st and Ten on ESPN doesnt watch football and shouldnt comment on games they didn't watch. They said Miles was crazy and trying to live up to his Riverboat Gambler name. Said this was a bad decision but if they would have watched the clock they would have seen three or four seconds would be on the clock if the pass was incomplete. Although I do agree that the CB shouldv'e intercepted the ball b/c it was thrown inside and not outside towards the corner of the endzone.

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

My thoughts...some...if not all...have been mentioned already. But I feel like making a long post to increase my post count.

Concerning clock management-explain to me how scoring a go ahead touchdown and leaving only one second on the clock is POOR CLOCK MANAGEMENT! IMHO, that is the epitome of PERFECT clock management. The play was sent in with nearly 20 seconds on the clock. It wasn't Miles that took his time barking out the call. With that much time on the clock, and an iffy at best placekicker from a marginal distance...Miles is nuts NOT to take a shot in the EZ.

Concerning the "what ifs"-That kind of negative thinking is reserved for those who are used to things going wrong...used to losing. Those kind of thoughts are for those who have no faith in their players. Those kind of thoughts are for losers. There is only ONE "what if" that could've negatively affected this play...an INT. Flynn throws INT's far less than CD misses long FG's. So the "what if" factor is greater if we are forced to kick a FG instead of celebrating an INSTANT CLASSIC!

Concerning the game clock-Some have asked if it is LSU or the SEC that provides the timekeeper. Doesn't matter. The clock was stopped as soon as the refs signaled TD...which is proper. The ball was secured with Byrd down in the EZ with 4 seconds remaining. See the photo below.

[​IMG]

Concerning the coach that made the crazy call-His name is Tommy Tubberville. Some call him ears, wingnut, etc. He is the coach that should be questioned after the game for his idiotic decision to put LSU in great field position all night with the ridiculous squib kicks. LSU hasn't returned a kickoff for a TD all year. What's up with HIS thinking??:confused:

Concerning OUR coach-OUR coach is now 29-4 during his tenure at LSU. He has his team in a position to win a :crystal: this year. His team currently resides in the same house it has inhabited since he has been our coach...the top 5. Someone has this as their sig...a quote from Miles after the Tulane game. "Never bemoan a VICTORY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Thats possibly true because a drop may have been seen quicker than the catch but if it was bobbled then dropped maybe not. However, this is a "monday morning QB" topic and the point I originally made is still true. The clock doesnt stop the moment a catch or incompletion is seen on a replay. Its stopped based on a referee signal only.

I usually never post negative stuff after a win but these close calls are scary. Again, sooner or later the law of averages is going to get us. Lets just make sure we dont get put in this position much more, if at all. We are 2 risky play calls away from potentially having 2 more losses which would have been considered a disaster by any measure.

4. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

Those guys constantly go over the line just for perceived ratings. Too bad we can't call in and rip 'em.

1 person likes this.
  5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

The point you made in NOT true. The only reason the clock continued to run is because they had to make sure he had possesion. An incompletion would've been called with at least 3 seconds left...and the clock would stop. The clock wouldn't restart until the snap of the ball after the incompletion. Had there been any reason that the refs didn't immediately see the incompletion, a review would have been in order to determine the timing of the game clock. (By the way...Byrd caught it...for a touchdown;) )

Your second paragraph is the type of talk I was referring to in my previous long post. Winners don't think like that...losers do. I'm not calling you a loser...I'm just saying that kind of thinking is for a team that doesn't expect to win. It's for a team that is used to losing.

Just for arguments sake...what would YOU have done in the same situation?

6. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Its is true...check the rules. Clock stops based upon ref signal, not based on replay. Thats the only point I made. Deciding when the ref would have signaled an incomplete based on a replay is not accurate, subjective and unknown.

What would I have done? Made sure the play was run quicker. Simple as that.

I have no loser attitude either dude. Better read a few more or my posts if you think that. I just think these risky calls will run out on us. Again, simple as that.

7. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

The only thing LSU did wrong on their final TD was that they were too casual getting the snap off. Flynn could have snapped it a few seconds sooner and probably shoud have. Zemek's article is quite asinine.

"But if Miles wanted to achieve his strategic goal of making one attempt at the end zone and (if it failed) leaving just enough time on the clock for a field goal, he should have called his one timeout with, oh, 11 to 12 seconds left."

Horrible advice. If Flynn takes a sack? If the snap is muffed and someone has to fall on it? If something strange happens to the pass and an LSU reciever catches it and gets tackled in front of the goal line? You're gonna want that time out aren't you? The whole thing is also muddied by poor clock operation. If it falls incomplete and continues to tick down, LSU likely gets the time put back up. However, this is why they should have snapped it sooner because you never want to place things in the hands of the officials if you don't have to. A snap at 15 seconds, rather than 9, is what should have happened. Not calling a timeout and the play itself were fine.

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Easy...easy.:) I made it a point to say I'm not calling you a loser...and I'm not. I agree that the play should've been run quicker...but the play was sent in with PLENTY of time. Not Miles' fault that it took that long to snap the friggin ball.

I know the rules. My point is this-they took extra time to make sure Byrd had possesion the whole way down...therefore didn't make the TD signal until one(actually 2) seconds remained. An incompletion would've been obvious, and the clock would've had 3-4 seconds on it...not 1. Either way...it only takes 1 second to kick the FG...as the clock wouldn't have restarted until the snap.

I just fail to see where this was a "risky" call. Any decent coach with confidence in his team would take a shot at the TD with that much time left.

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I have an idea. Let's compare this ending to LAST year's AU game. I know, I know...we needed a TD last year...not a FG. But still! At least we threw the ball to the end zone instead of giving AU a chance to stuff it at the 3!

I'm sure instructions were given to Flynn to throw it away quickly if it wasn't there...or if he received pressure. Also, I'm sure he was told to make sure it was in the EZ. I'm also pretty confident that he already KNEW those things...without being told...although he should've gotten the play off quicker.

10. DRC

DRC TigerNator

The call was not risky, only the clock management. The call was spot on. We most definitely should have taken a shot at the end zone. It just should have happened quicker.