Monday Morning QB - Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by stk, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

On that, we can agree. My only contention is that the play was sent in with plenty of time remaining. Why so long to snap the ball?? I honestly began to think they were trying to draw AU offsides to gain 5 yards...thus making the FG easier. I admit, when they snapped it, my heart skipped a beat. But the results speak for themselves. First, it worked...and second...had it been incomplete, there's still time for the FG. An INT would've sucked...but I truly believe with the game on the line...I'd rather have it in Flynn's hands than on David's foot.:thumb:

2. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

It's funny how the talking heads are lining up on both sides as well, but almost clearly dilineated between sports writers and former players. Too many people are getting the info wrong about how much time was left when he made the catch vs when it was signaled.

The talking heads all saying it is reckless with only 1 second. The former players all pointing out the real time(not 1 second), and saying Miles shows confidence in his players and think LSU cannot be stopped because of it.
    A marked difference between those that actually played the game, and those that only talk about it. Very interesting to see.

If I could personally find fault with anyone on that play, it would not be Miles for calling it, or Flynn for when he snapped the ball. It would be for the entire team breaking the huddle and walking up to the line. Matt had no choice but to wait for the recievers to stop moving before he snapped that ball, or it would have been a penalty that took us out of field goal range. Everything else seemed to be executed properly, but the team in general seemd less aware of the time issue, not Miles, and not Flynn.

3. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I normally never post and question the team, play calling, etc. However, this topic says "Monday Morning QB" and this is the kind of topic where you are supposed to 2nd guess yourselves right? Isnt that what a Monday Morning QB is?

4. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Well, as far as I see it, it has bitten us already. Miles is 2-1 in the close games this season where tough calls had to be made. The play calling in the last OT against UK was a bit hard headed in my opinion, but you know what? That is OK by me. I would rather a gutsy coach that lets his team decide the game than one that forces the team to squib kicks it.

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

You have seen a clock reset via replay but the rules say it only happens when a call is reversed.

6. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Absolutely right. I am doing the same thing you are, just not agreeing with you. It is a valid discussion.

7. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

The article posted at the beginning was monday-morninging (??? heh) Miles.

I disagreed with some of the article's specific points. Namely, that Miles is dumb and did a poor job coaching in the last minute. I'm just peeved because I know no matter what he did, he'd still be criticised.

And I just deleted a long, boring post because the point I wanted to make wasn't relevant, really. It's good to learn the rules :thumb: . And I still think the coaching staff did a decent job with time clock management...and that Tubby's chicken **** decision not to kick off to our return guys was way more dumb -- in hindsight -- than any decision Miles made.

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Here's a clip of the final 53 seconds. I don't see where they took too long getting to the line. The recievers were not walking...not sprinting either...but not walking. They were the last players to get into position. Then, a good 4 seconds rolled off the clock before the snap...AFTER everyone was set.

One thing I did notice watching this clip, though. After the pass to Dickson on 2nd down...the whole team acted as if time wasn't an issue. There are 45+seconds when he is tackled...and we only get one play off? I guess since it was 3rd down, there was really no reason to rush. We would've never gone for the first...and it was probably pre-determined to try the EZ, then kick the FG on 4th if necessary.

Anyway, here's the clip.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Jh0clroEg

9. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I suspect if Miles had a chance to do it over again he wouldnt change a thing except make sure the play was run a little quicker and leave a little more time on the clock. A second or two or three is cutting it too close in that situation and I bet Miles agrees with that. Its one thing to be standing right beside the ref waiting to call a time out and letting it wind down to a few seconds. Its quite another to run a play and thinking you can time it to that same margin of error.

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Also, notice who comes off the sideline to congratulate Byrd...Lafell! Good job, Brandon!:thumb: