Moo U's Starting Free Safety kicked off team by Croom

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Feb 8, 2005.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Croom is a disciplinarian and wastes no time cleaning his new home.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/02/08/bc.fbc.missst.williams.ap/

STARKVILLE, Miss (AP) -- Mississippi State safety Darren Williams, a junior who led the Bulldogs in interceptions last season, has been dismissed from the team for violating team rules, coach Sylvester Croom said.

Croom would not say what rules Williams broke. Williams could not be reached for comment.

"Darren came to me and told me he was contemplating entering the NFL draft," Croom said Monday. "During that time, while he was deliberating, he violated some team rules. Now, he will not be playing for us this fall."

Williams, a 6-foot-2, 209-pound safety, did not applying for early entry into the draft by the Jan. 15 deadline for underclassmen, according to a list released by the NFL.

Williams started eight games during the Bulldogs' 3-8 season, making four interceptions. He was third on the team in tackles with 63.

Williams has not taken his redshirt year, meaning he would have one year of eligibility remaining if he transfers and continues to play football.

Under NCAA rules, he can transfer to another Division I-A school and sit out a year, or he can play immediately at a Division I-AA or Division II school.

Williams is the latest in a string of players signed by previous coach Jackie Sherrill -- many of them highly recruited out of high school -- to be disciplined by Croom, in his second season as coach at Mississippi State.

2. philter

philter Founding Member

All the sky-fallers are worrying about Orgeron and his hiring of Wilson, but if you want to project into the future 3 or 4 years it will be Croom who is the one challenging LSU for La. players imo.

3. tubadog

tubadog Founding Member

I've gotta tell ya, Coach Croom isn't afraid to get rid of the guys who aren't committed to the program. Everybody knows we have a ways to go yet, but Coach Croom has had to clean up a lot of mess from the days of Sherrill. I don't know what people outside of the MSU think of Coach Croom, but he is an honest, decent man who simply believes in doing things the right way. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer before we can give you guys a good game.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

trust me, most of our regulars here thought bama screwed up royally when hiring little shula and bypassing on croom, likely because of race. not many of us use the race card but it surely wasn't based on experience but we will never know for sure so I guess ill leave that part alone.

regardless, most have heard about the integrity sly has and I have no doubt your program will be the best in Mississippi in the not so distant future.

oh yeah, not to mention the bummers removed sly's name from that award then put it back to save face....but i digress.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

They type of "no-nonsense" coach that every school needs. Ohio State should take note.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I totally agree.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Damnit, why did MSU hire this guy? Next thing you know the State game won't be a bye week. Argh....

8. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Croom may be cleaning house but the players behind them aren't that good and he still is in the state of Mississippi. I am not worried about them for a few more years.