Morals

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, May 4, 2005.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Yes, and such is the problem with Mill's philosophy.... adherents invariably end up acting in their own best interests and deceiving themselves into believing that coincides with the greater good. It is another one of those philosophies that forgets completely about human nature.

2. LSUDeek

Absolutely the most ridiculous example I've ever seen.

3. LSUDeek

Whereas martin wants you to know that he has trouble adding on his fingers and must criticize and insult others in order to feel big.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

makes sense to me. Don't let your faith blind your intelligence.

5. LSUDeek

You can come up with better examples than jumping out of airplanes.

Here's a lot of examples supporting my viewpoints:

1) Premarital sex is wrong. (That's not to say that anyone is above it)
    Sex between a man and a woman forges emotional ties that are very hard to break. Repeated casual sex between different partners causes one to become emotionally dead to relationships, not to mention the STD and pregnancy factor.

2) Murder is wrong. Life is sacred. For those who don't want to believe that, (like martin) would you appreciate being stabbed in the neck right now?

3) Stealing is wrong. It's not yours. Would you like it if I took something very special to you?

4) Racism is wrong. That person had no choice but to be born whatever color he/she is. Could you have chosen to be whatever color you are? Can you change any of that?

These are just 4. I can come up with many more practical examples that are NOT subjective and rely on no Christianity.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I agree that there are many things almost everyone agrees are wrong. However, frogleg attempted to say that anything can be easily defined as right or wrong by using rational actions & true beliefs as a gauge - which I think I proved was not so easy to do.

7. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

a=a is a true statement. Reality exists as an objective absolute — facts are facts independent of man’s feelings, wishes, hopes or fears

Rational actions are bounded in self-interest and happiness.

The morality of parachuting is meaningless.

Does god exist? I don't know, i'm not omniscient.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Facts may be facts, but morality isn't a fact. It entails judgement, feelings, & opinions.

I didn't ask about the morality of parachuting. I said to define rational actions - you can't because it's not a universal definition. Is lighting yourself on fire for a demonstration rational? I don't think so. But Buddhists do.

I also asked you to define true beliefs. If someone says that God exists, they often believe that absolutely and don't accept that he might not exist. They believe their beleif is correct, but that doesn't mean it is. Can you define a true belief? Again, you cannot. A belief is something that an individual or group of individuals hold - it's not universal.

It's not weakness to accept that other people are allowed to have their own opinion. It's ignorance to believe your will should be forced on others.

9. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

According to you. You can't seem to realize that these are things that people can disagree over. If people can disagree over them, they aren't facts. They aren't universal. And who's to say that it is your definitions that the world should go by??