More ammunition for Kerry Haters....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by rookie, Aug 1, 2004.

1. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

And the fact he used to go sailing with JFK (the original) definitely has nothing to do with that. Not saying it does or doesn't, but anyone who believes people with those kinds of connections don't get special favors is very naive.

2. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Since John Kerry has yet to release his medical records stating why he recieved his 3 purple hearts, the only thing we can do is take him at his word. I admire the man for having the balls to go to Vietnam, when he didn't have to, and risking his life. I don't necessarily think that being a veteran or winning any medals makes you any more qualified to be the President than unclogging a toilet qualifies you to be a plumber. I plan on voting for President Bush in the upcoming election, however I will investigate Kerry's record, as I will Bush's, and the issues. From that I will make an informed decision as to who I think is the best person to run this country. I view myself as a staunch conservative but I haven't been brainwashed by the RNC and i'm not like some bleeding heart liberals who has been brainwashed by the DNC. I like to make an informed decision on politics and i'm not just going to vote blindly republican.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You are misinformed, amigo. The documents you seek are available on John Kerry's website. It is the other candidate who has not produced all of his military records. I admire your open-mindedness, and invite you to check out the record.

John Kerry's Military Records

4. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Founding Member

Red, all those documents show is that he was awarded 3 Purple Hearts...nobody is disputing that. What is in dispute is how he got them.
    If there's nothing to hide there, he should just go ahead and release those medical records.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm not sure what you guys are getting at. What records are you referring to? He got the purple hearts because he was wounded. See the Bronze Star citation above for one of the circumstances. It doesn't take an amputation to earn a Purple Heart. Many a veteran has a Purple Heart for minor wounds, there is no dishonor in that.

Look, I can see people having problems with Kerry's politics. He's a little left for me, too. I just don't get these really cheesy attempts to portray his war record as some kind of Hollywood fiction. Are Republicans so embarrased by Cheneys draft evasion and Bush's champaign tour of the Alabama National Guard that they must belittle a decorated war veteran? It only points out the dramatic differences and it is Bush that suffers by comparison.

Some of the the biggest flag-wavers and self-proclaimed patriots around won't acknowledge a guy who volunteered, did his duty for his country, was highly decorated, and wounded in combat. Just because they don't like his politics. What is wrong with this picture?

Bush may be better than Kerry in some areas that make presidential timber out of a man . . . but the military service record ain't one of them.

6. MFn G I M P

Like ElvisFan said, i'm not disputing that he recieved those Purple Hearts and I actually praised him for putting his life on the line and going into Vietnam, when he didn't have to. I still would like him to release his medical records as to the wounds he recieved and how severe they were for him to recieve his Purple Hearts.

""While in Cam Rahn Bay, he trained on several 24-hour indoctrination missions, and one special skimmer operation with my most senior and trusted Lieutenant. The briefing from some members of that crew the morning after revealed that they had not received any enemy fire, and yet Lt.(jg) Kerry informed me of a wound -- he showed me a scratch on his arm and a piece of shrapnel in his hand that appeared to be from one of our own M-79s. It was later reported to me that Lt.(jg) Kerry had fired an M-79, and it had exploded off the adjacent shoreline. I do not recall being advised of any medical treatment, and probably said something like 'Forget it.' He later received a Purple Heart for that scratch, and I have no information as to how or whom."
    Commander Grant Hibbard, USN (retired)

7. MFn G I M P

Kerry's 1st Purple Heart: December 2, 1968

"My M-16 jammed, and as I bent down in the boat to grab another gun, a stinging piece of heat socked into my arm and just seemed to burn like hell." (page 147, "Tour of Duty")

"As an officer in command (OIC) in training, Kerry reported during this mission to William Schachte, who eventually retired as a Rear Admiral. Schachte flatly contradicts Kerry's claim to have been wounded by enemy fire, saying that after his M-16 jammed, Kerry picked up an M-79 grenade launcher and fired a grenade that exploded too close to the boat, causing a small piece of shrapnel to stick in the skin of his arm. Kerry himself did not report receiving hostile fire that night, which would have been required, and there is no record of hostile fire for the mission"

"The following morning, John Kerry arrived at the office of Coastal Division 14 Commander Grant Hibbard to apply for a Purple Heart. Having already been informed by Schachte that Kerry's injury was self-inflicted rather than the result of hostile fire, Commander Hibbard told him to "forget it." Hibbard recently said of Kerry's minor scratch, "I’ve seen worse injuries from a rose thorn."

8. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Kerry is nothing other than a JFK wannabee!
    and
    Some of you have bought into it!

10. macv72

macv72 Freshman

RVN Medals

[​IMG] There are men with names on a black wall that do not have silver stars.

Does Kerry deserve his medals? Only he knows the answer.

But I might point out that medals applied for were very seldom turned down. And a sure sign of medal inflation is when a group of men are decorated, the medals are given in order of rank.