More Confederate Flag Controversy (LSU colors) - Article

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Carface, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Carface

Carface What the...?

These two bits come from the Reveille:

The first one is a letter to the editor.
    http://www.lsureveille.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/03/07/422c48090bae4

This second piece is an article from the front page.

The rest of the article can be found here:
    http://www.lsureveille.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/03/07/422c4fb80a6b2

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

This is so confusing. I didn't think we were supposed to use the term "African American" any longer. Is this still PC?

There really should be a website where you can find the latest terminology for peoples of all backgrounds, crackers included.

3. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

Simply put, just because you (meaning anyone), see a flag as symbolizing something in particular, doesn't necessarily make it so. Get a life and go find a cause that really matters. This one is about 20 years too late.

This is a response to the article, not the poster bringing it to our attention.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

and i cannot believe a person who is an adult about to graduate from college is unaware of how people are allowed to display whatever symbols they like.

i would think an adult would realize what free speech is and how it works.

yeah, wanting to tell people what symbols are politically acceptable, that is really "tolerance".

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Let's ratchet down those expectations martin. She's a freaking LATIN major. Nobody speaks Latin, only doctors and lawyers use Latin, and I'm guessing there are about 50 better degrees if you're considering employment in either field.

I'm just proud of that student for being resourceful enough to find someone to write that letter for her.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

mea culpa.

7. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

Seems like yet one more young person who has chosen to spend her parents' money on an education that will perpare her to contribute nothing to society, but will instead only serve to perpetuate the obviously inflated opinion she already has of her own self-importance.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

As the other thread on confederate flags mentioned, I think the flag shows disrespect to black people and shouldn't be flow at all, much less in purple in gold. However, there's always that little thing called Free Speech. I understand black people being offended and saying something about, just don't say it needs to be banned.

9. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

You mean she's been at LSU for four years and has NEVER seen the Purple and Gold Confederate Battle Flag flown?!?! I'll bet her next letter will be about driving further down Nicholson and finding a huge football stadium! She needs to wake up, get a life, and get over it. Just my opinion.

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

"I wanted to stop my car and tell those people to take the flag down from its pole."

I'd have paid big bucks to be there to see the response she got if she had. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: