More Confederate Flag Controversy (LSU colors) - Article

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Carface, Mar 7, 2005.

1. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

you know who else offends me, liberals and those anti-bush stickers i see. Let's start a group to try and get those banned from campus too.

2. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

Here is what I do not get........

The ignorance of people in today's society, with the education about history that we receive throughout our schooling, who think the confederate flag represents racism and the Civil War was fought over slavery. Where did we go wrong?

Just because a minority group of white people known as the Klu Klux Klan carry around a confederate flag it automatically means it is a racist thing. Ibet if you look hard at pictures of KKK demonstrations, you will also see an American flag and crosses. Does this mean the church and the US are racist as well? Let me answer that for you....No.

The civil war was fought over the south's desire to not have a centralized government (south wanted localized self governments) and less taxes. It is well documented that the north also had slave states during the civil war....so the whole "war was fought over slavery" routine is petty IMO. Learn your history...read a book instead of playing Xbox or listening to your IPOD.

Certain flags, like the Nazi flag, truelly represent evil and treachery and should never be flown again unless you too belive in the same ideals as Hitler and his crew. The confederate flag does not fall into that category.

again...learn your history.

thank you for reading...God Bless Us All.

3. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

:thumb: :thumb:

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Its all part of a conditioning by the media. The media and black leaders would get blasted if they tried to paint the cross or the American flag as symbols of racism becasue of the KKK'suse of them. The Confederate Battle Flag is only held sacred by a region of the country. And on top of that the region that holds the flag sacred has been taught for 140 years that the flag is a symbol of hatred and rebellion and is a little confused as to what the flag means.

On another note the KKK has been more outspoken against Catholicism in the last decade than against civil rights. Should I be offended by the flag since I am Catholic?

5. hpmcdaniel

hpmcdaniel Founding Member

I sure do LOVE TIGERFORUMS. Not only is there a place that we can get together and talk LSU sports, especially football. BUT, I can have an intelligent conversation as well.

THANKS GUYS and GIRLS!!!!!:thumb:

Heather
    :geauxtige

6. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Some Quick Facts About
    Slavery, the War for Southern Independance, and the South

Contrary to popular misconceptions, the War for Southern Independance (1861 - 1865) was not fought over slavery, a minor issue of the conflict. It was fought primarily over state's rights, freedom from tyranny and oppression of centralized government, and defense of Southern homes and firesides.
    • Only about 7% of Confederate soldiers owned slaves.
    • According to the U.S. census 2% of Southern blacks owned slaves in 1860.
    • Over 100,000 blacks served in the Confederacy in various capacities during the war with nearly 4000 of them willingly taking up arms in defense of their masters.
    • Slaves in the south overall were treated very well by their masters. In a U.S Government survey years after the war, 70% of former slaves had only good experiences to relate about their lives as slaves and about the Old South.
    • In 1688 Virginia was the first colony (North or South) to try to stop the slave trade.
    • Confederate generals Robert E. Lee, Joseph Johnston, A.P Hill, Fitzhugh Lee, and J.E.B. Stuart were not slave owners.
    • General Grant kept slaves to take care of his wife while he was away fighting to end this supposed root cause of the war.
    • Major Robert Anderson, the Union commander of Fort Sumter in April of 1861, was from Kentucky and was a slave owner.
    • With the Emancipation Proclamation Lincoln only freed the slaves in territory not under U.S. jurisdiction, i.e. in the Confederacy. He did not free the slaves in territory under U.S. control. Slaves in northern states were not freed until the war was over.
    • When Lincoln was asked why he just didn't let the South go, he replied, "Who's going to pay for the government?" Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia supplied three-fourths of the federal revenue in 1860.
    • On July 25, 1861 the U.S. Congress passed the Crittenden Resolution; it states that the Union's aim is to crush the Southern rebellion, not to abolish slavery.
    • On August 22, 1862 President Lincoln sent a public letter to a newspaper stating his chief aim is to reunite the country NOT to destroy slavery.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mesquite tiger again."

Great post, buddy. I'll have to catch you on the flipside. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

the problem is that we let people dictate to us our meaning, and they use that as an excuse to be offended, so we have to accomodate them, even though we never meant to represent the thing they hate. (and even if we did, screw em)

of course my favorite example of this is the n-bomb. when i use the n-bomb, i will tell you what i meant by it. you can tell me what you thought i meant and you are offended, and that i have no right to use demeaning words, but so what. if i do not mean to offend, then why are you offended and why should i care? no sympathy from me. no special treatment. no walking on eggshells. the speaker is the one who gets to dictate the meaning to the listeners, not vice versa. listeners cannot dictate to speakers what their intent was, be it words or symbols like the flag.

i treat races equally. i actually think by claiming there are some races which you cannot use certain slurs against, you are being condescending to that race, implying they are too stupidly sensitive to be treated like everyone else. i love slurs. i have brutal criticisms of jews, christians, whites, mexicans, dumbass irish, mexicans, southerners, northerners. i dont want to give certain races special treatment. i want to bomb every group with slurs, including the groups i am a part of. if you tell me they cant take it, you are the one telling me they are inferior, you are the racist. only the inferior want special treatment.

if you have a confederate flag, and for you it represents your heritage or whatever, thats fine, nobody can tell you what it represents to you and what you mean by displaying it. i realize that symbols have meaning, and we arent operating in a vacuum here, but still, the ones who are offended are the ones who are misunderstanding.

(i actually think being proud of your heritage is sort of stupid and tribalist, but that is whole different issue i might save for another time)

9. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Not to bore you, but here's some more interesting facts in the following link about misconceptions and myths regarding slavery in the U.S. as well as around the world. A good read, but long. The majority of history books in schools do not even come close to painting a balanced look at slavery. I think a lot of students (and people in general) have a distorted view about this subject.

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/historyonline/slav_fact.cfm

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

martin, you stupid honkey. From one cracker to another, I don't know why you would want to put down all of these races. Don't you know stereotypes were invented completely out of thin air and if something could ever possibly offend someone (dead, alive, unborn), you are to bite your tongue!? Now go listen to your John Tesh CD Whitebread, and reflect on how you've missed the boat, you Anglo Gringo!