More hijinks from the "religion of peace"

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by martin, May 20, 2005.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

sure, muslims are violent, but christians are too. yunno, history.

2. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Twisted history maybe. What were the crusades (I assume that is what you are referring to) fought for? To expel the muslims of course, after their occupation. And when is the last time a Christian hijacked a plane and crashed it into a building? When is the last time a Christian strapped a bomb on themselves and killed a bunch of school kids? Christianity has become a very passive religion. It has only been a little over 2000 years since Christ said "Turn the other cheek." Well, I don't think anyone is better at it than most Christians, thanks to groups like the ACLU. I must admit, and this is one of my many shortcomings, I am not a turn the other cheek kinda guy. You can not compare Christians to muslims.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

well, in kosovo, thats christians killing people, isnt it? although you might claim the muslims are the troublemakers. surely all of the violence and terrorism in n. ireland an be attributed to christians.

violence is part of the major religions, always has been. when you believe in magic and hell and all that crap, you sometimes dont care about being calm and rational.

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Christianity is a religion of peace. That doesnt mean that there arent people who will use it to their own gain.

On the other hand, one of the principle duties of a Muslim is to spread "the word" through any means, even war. The funny thing is that Muslims are not supposed to commit violence against those considered "Peoples of the Book", or Christians and Jews, since they are worshipers of Jesus and Moses, who are very important prophets in the Quran.

5. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

both religions are going to have their bad apples.

bombing abortion clinics, bombing embassies...

take your pick.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Agreed. A Christian executed 6 million jews only 60 years ago.

7. locoguano

Hence he wasnt a christian... and he was also a quarter jewish...

8. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

He may have been born a Christian, but he renounced and even persecuted Christianity in the name of the state, so that's a bogus statement.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He was a baptised Catholic and never renounced his faith, so he was a Christian and so were his many thousands of Nazi henchmen. Committing genocide doesn't absolve him of Christianity. He was never excommunicated by the Catholic Church. He may have had Jewish ancestors, but neither he nor his family ever practised Judaism.

Prove it.

To my knowledge, Hitler never renounced his Christianity. He did criticize religion several times but never declared himself an atheist.

"As a child, Adolf Hitler attended classes at a Benedictine monastery, sang in the choir, and according to his own account, dreamed of one day taking holy orders. Hitler never renounced his Roman Catholicism; "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so" he remarked to one of his generals, and his Church never excommunicated him." -- Adolf Hitler by J. Toland, p. 703 (1976, Doubleday, New York NY) quoting p. 31 of Heeresadjutant bei Hitler 1938-1943 by General G. Engel (1974)

"That Hitler renounced Christianity and became an Atheist is a myth largely propagated by Christians. It originated from the illogical belief that no Christian could commit such horrible acts and that Hitler must be an Atheist. If Hitler was an Atheist he was so secretly and did not openly announce it. But let's let Hitler tell us his beliefs in his own words: "My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter" in a public speech April 12,1922. There is some indication that he was edging toward a belief in a non-Christian supreme being after 1935, but in October of 1941 he said: "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so." Hitler widely used Christianity to his advantage, was allied with the pope, and had stated that the Jews had to be destroyed because they killed Christ." -- Nathaniel D. Selby, BoulderWeekly.com

10. locoguano

A man can call himself a christian all he wants. If he doesnt follow the rules of being a christian, then he isnt one. Neither is the ******* who goes to church and repeats the lines of a prayer without thought of its meaning. Many people have used the title of christian to further their own ends, including Popes, Kings, etc.